I Just Had a Bilaterial Mastectomy. DCIS is the Right and my Decision to Remove the Left Breast. I Am 5'8' and 185 Pounds?

I just had a bilaterial mastectomy. DCIS in the right breast and my decision was to remove the left breast also. I am 5'8" and 185 pounds.I'm 51 years old. My bra size was 36 DD. I had my expanders put in at the time of my surgery. When the expanders are taken out, I am having 650 cc implants put in. Is this going to be close to what size I was before my breast surgery?

Breast reconstruction with implants in austin, breast reconstruction with DIEP flap in Austin, latissimus flap, silicone implant

+2

Each pateint has to be examined and shown the alternatives with implants that are currently availbale.  Fortunately a new company, Sientra, has released a line of shaped silicone implants that may provide a more acceptable appearance for breast reconstruction using implants.

Implant size after mastectomy

+2

It is hard to predict what cup size you would have without examining you.  As you know, cup size may vary depending on which brand of bra you get.  When you see yourself with current expander, do you like the size?  Depending on your expander fill volume and whether you like the expander size or not, your plastic surgeon will make the recommendation on the implant size.  If my patients like the expander size, I tend to go a little bit larger with silicone implants.

Sugene Kim, MD

Size after tissue expanders

+2

It is difficult for me to predict what cup size you would be without an exam.  I always tell my breast reconstruction patients to inform me as I am filling the tissue expanders at what volume they feel most comfortable. I then try to match the implant to that volume as best as I can.

Size after implant exchange

+2

It would be impossible for anyone to tell you what 650 cc implant could achieve in terms of cup size over the internet.  The best person who can address your concern is your reconstructive plastic surgeon.  They have a good understanding of your size before surgery.  They will be able to guide you the best.  good luck.

Dr. B

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Best do breast reconstruction with implant sizers.

+2

Hi.

650 cc's sounds like it is in the right range.  Your surgeon can use sterile sizers during surgery to actually see what a particular size implant looks like.  Also, does 650 cc's in the tissue expanders give you the volume you want?

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Implant Size after Expander Reconstruction

+1

The final implant size will be determined by the amount of fluid placed in your expanders. Therefore, you will be involved in the implant selection process.  

As you reach your desired size with the expander, your plastic surgeon will place an implant very close in size to your final fill volume in the tissue expander.

Bottomline, you will know what size implant will work best based on the size of your expander.

Dr GIll

Paul S. Gill, MD

What will my cup size be with reconstruction?

+1

When you were being expanded, hopefully you appreciated what your size was when your expander was filled around 600cc's.  You have a fill port that easily represents 60 more cc's and that combined with a 600 cc fill should give you a good idea of what size you will have with a 650 cc implant.  If you find that this isn't enough, and your skin is stretching nicely, you can certainly go larger.

Curtis Wong, MD