I Had Bilateral Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty 7 Weeks Ago. Experiencing Discomfort With Eyelashes, What Can I Do?

The lower lids are slightly turned in and are still a little puffy. This causes some of my lower lashes to touch my eyeball and create discomfort. Is there a short term solution for this problem besides plucking each lash? I see my plastic surgeon in 6 more weeks, as he said complete swelling will go down in 10 - 12 weeks following surgery. I'm concerned that the lids will not go back to their original position. What are my options, if the eyelids do not return to their original position?

Consultation with Oculoplastics Surgeon or Ophthalmologist

+3

As mentioned by other providers here, a consultation with a surgeon well versed in eyecare is important. As scarring softens, the eyelids may improve, and the longer you wait, the better the situation might get. However, waiting may be difficult to do when your eyes are irritated.

There are a couple of things that might help you temporarily. Using an ocular lubricating ointment can soften the lashes and make the eye less irritated. However the downside is that it will make your vision less blurry. Another good option is to use bandage contact lenses. These are large contact lenses that will cover the cornea [the most sensitive part of the cornea]  so that the lash touch is not felt. This is a temporary solution and needs the supervision of oculoplastics surgeon or an ophthalmologist.

You may eventually need revision surgery for this problem. But there is no substitute for time.

Good luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Please do not act on recommendations for self-administered treatment offered by doctors who have not examined you.

+3

Plucking the eyelashes is not a good idea, not because they won't grow back, but because when they do grow out, they are very stiff and can be even more irritating.  The problem with having this problem "managed" by your plastic surgeon is that they do not have the knowledge, skill, and training to actually examine the eye surface to assess how the eye lashes are affecting the cornea.  They do not possess the equipment needed to examine the eye surface called a slit lamp.  I recommend that you see an oculoplastic surgeon for help with this.  It would be appropriate for your plastic surgeon to make this referral.  If they are reluctant to do so, the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a website with a geographic directory that will help you identify a high qualified oculoplastic surgeon in your area to assist you (asoprs dot org).

Eyelid irritation after surgery

+3

It sounds like you need to be seen by your doctor.  This may be related to scarring.  Sometimes massage helps, but you really need to be seen.

Discomfort with eyelashes after blepharoplasty

+2

It sounds like the swelling combined with possible underlying muscle spasm and early  scar formation may be turning your lower lashes in toward your eyes. This is called postoperative entropion. The most important thing for you to do is see your doctor and ask if  lower lid  taping (taping the eyelid down slightly), turning the lashes out by everting the lid and lashes from the eye can be done. If so your doctor will use specially designed  skin tape. Sometimes ophthalmic ointment can be placed on the lash hairs and they can be smoothed down over your lid skin. If spasm is an issue, Botox can be considered and has been noted in the literature but it would be important to make sure your doctor believes it is a good idea.

If there is significant irritation (your conjunctiva, white part of your eye, is inflamed), go in and see your doctor.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lower lid turning in (entropion) after blepharoplasty

+2

What you are describing (entropion) is not normal after transconjunctival blepharoplasty.  You should consult with an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Corneal irritation after lower lid Bleph

+2

This is likely due to scar contraction along the incision line causing the lashes to turn in towards your eye. I certainly don't recommend plucking the lashes as they may not grow back. You will need to massage the lower lid 2-3 times per day to relax the scarring but the most inportant matter is that you need to get back to your surgeon as soon as possible. You may be experiencing corneal irritation or abrasion and it is not reasonable to waite for another 6-8 weeks to see your surgeon. The massaging and any intervention should be supervised by your surgeon.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelashes Rubbing Cornea after Lower Lid Surgery

+1

It sounds like you need to see your surgeon sooner for an evaluation of the eyelashes that are rubbing your eyes.  If you aren't able to get help from your surgeon, I would seek an oculoplastic surgeon.  You can find one at the website for the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS.org).

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon