Bilateral W TE,chem, Radiaition. Was 40C Now Want B's but PS Want to Use 500cc for Implant. Why?

Why would she want to use 500cc when they look and feel so big to me. I am 60 years old and don't need to look perky. I am not sure I even want to keep these expanders and add implants. Everything was so rush, rush at the time. My left side always swell up and it really does hurt. I just can't grasp why she wants to use the size she wants. I measure myself around and am still 40 inches. Any thoughts or insights would help me. Thanks.

Choice

+1
As breast cancer patient, you did not choose your diagnosis. You do, however, get to choose your reconstruction. One of the first things that I discuss with my patients is what their reconstructive goals are. There are many questions which need to be answered and the patient is often the best resource when operative planning begins. Prosthetic or autologous? Maintain size, reduce or augment?

It is important for the surgeon and patient to function as a team. The surgeon should guide but not override the patient in making safe choices.

As always, discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Nyack Plastic Surgeon

What size in reconstructions

+1

is entirey up to you and not your surgeon.  You need to make it clear to her what your desires are.  You could have visualized it easily as you were being expanded as my patients tell me when they like the volume they have.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon and if you cannot get your message across, you should seek a second opinion and even another surgeon.  Just because you started with a surgeon doesn't mean you're obligated to finish with that surgeon.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast cancer reconstruction requires cooperation between patient and surgeon

+1

Kuelkat: Do review your concerns with your PS. You have had a life-changing diagnosis and had to accept bilateral mastectomy, reconstruction, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, which will definitely influence your final outcome.  Chemo may make you anemic (weak), leukopenic (susceptible to infection) while radiation can complicate tissue expansion. Ultimately your breast cancer reconstruction should contribute positively to your recovery, so do state your mind.  The mission of the breast cancer reconstruction surgeon is to understand  their patients goals, communicate the rationale for the therapies and be prepared with contingency plans, in case plan "A" doesn't work!  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Implants after tissue expansion

+1

A good way I gauge what to insert is based upon my patient's participation in the decision. Often this is based upon the volume she liked when I filled her tissue expander.