Risks from Immediate Bilateral Reconstruction

Does immediate bilateral reconstruction poise additional risks for a smoker? 

Immediate Breast Reconstruction in a Smoker

+1

I would recommend delaying your reconstruction until you can be off cigarettes for 2 weeks before surgery and 4 weeks after surgery.  Breast Reconstruction is elective surgery.   As your surgeon, I have the duty to provide you with the safest procedure with minimal risk and downtime.  Active smoking carries too high a risk to consider immediate reconstruction.  Consult with your primary care physician to determine the optimal smoking cessation aid for you.   I wish you all the best.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Risks from immediate bilateral reconstruction

+1

Yes smokers have a higher statistical risks of skin necrosis and infection. You should discuss in detail with the reconstructive surgeon so you are informed.

From MIAMI DR. B

Smoking GREATLY increases Complications of Immediate Breast Reconstruction

+1

Smoking, either first or second degree, is associated with a decreased amount of blood flow through the skin. Immediate breast reconstruction in smokers has a significant rate of complications which could be otherwise decreased or avoided.

Breast reconstruction and smoker

+1

Smoking increases the complication rate of surgery in some studies by more than 50% as compared to the non-smoking population.  I would stop smoking first.

Smooking and surgery

+1

There is a risk of wound healing with or without immediate breast reconstruction.

The degree of risk varies with the method of reconstruction.

I would not do an immediate breast reconstruction on a smooker.

Skin flaps can die, Flaps can die. WHY TAKE THE RISK????????????????????????//