Risks from Immediate Bilateral Reconstruction

Does immediate bilateral reconstruction poise additional risks for a smoker? 

Immediate Breast Reconstruction in a Smoker

I would recommend delaying your reconstruction until you can be off cigarettes for 2 weeks before surgery and 4 weeks after surgery.  Breast Reconstruction is elective surgery.   As your surgeon, I have the duty to provide you with the safest procedure with minimal risk and downtime.  Active smoking carries too high a risk to consider immediate reconstruction.  Consult with your primary care physician to determine the optimal smoking cessation aid for you.   I wish you all the best.

Risks from immediate bilateral reconstruction

Yes smokers have a higher statistical risks of skin necrosis and infection. You should discuss in detail with the reconstructive surgeon so you are informed.

Smoking GREATLY increases Complications of Immediate Breast Reconstruction

Smoking, either first or second degree, is associated with a decreased amount of blood flow through the skin. Immediate breast reconstruction in smokers has a significant rate of complications which could be otherwise decreased or avoided.

Breast reconstruction and smoker

Smoking increases the complication rate of surgery in some studies by more than 50% as compared to the non-smoking population.  I would stop smoking first.

Smooking and surgery

There is a risk of wound healing with or without immediate breast reconstruction.

The degree of risk varies with the method of reconstruction.

I would not do an immediate breast reconstruction on a smooker.

Skin flaps can die, Flaps can die. WHY TAKE THE RISK????????????????????????//