After Bilateral Otoplasty, There's an Extra Fold in Conchal Bowels in Both Ears? Is This Permanent?

My daughter had Bilateral Otoplasty done about 6 weeks ago and she has an extra fold in Conchal Bowels in both ears? are they permanent or will the improve by time?

Changes in the Concha after Otoplasty

+2

It is hard to answer your question with out knowing what exactly was done during the ear surgery! Did the surgeon remove any of the ear cartilage? Did he score the cartilage or just place sutures?

If no cartilage was removed it is very unlikely to have permanent change and it should improve once all the swelling is gone. If cartilage was removed or scored the changes could be permanent. You should check with the surgeon that performed the surgery!

Good luck

Web reference: http://www.talroudnerplasticsurgery.com/earsurgery.php

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty and fold in conchal bowl after 6 weeks

+1

This fold could improve with time. I would wait until all of the healing has taken place before considering anything drastic. at 6 weeks you have about 60% of your healing and you will get 80% about 6 months. It may be prudent to wait 6 months. But excising this extra skin fold would be likely one option versus just elevation of the whole area and redraping. Fat injections may be another way to minimally invasively do this early on.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

+1

What you describe is fairly common after otoplasty depending on the surgical method used. It sounds like the surgeon excised a segment of cartilage in the concha, something that I also typically perform. this brings the ear closer to the side of the head making it stick out less. there is commonly a fold created by the excess skin which will be noticeable for several weeks.  However, in my experience, the fold always gets better to the point where it will not be noticeable.  this can take 3 or  4 months  but be assured, it will improve.