Bilateral Numbness After a Facelift?

I had a facelift 18 months ago and still have severe numbness from each ear and under my neck. I have not m,ade any progress in the last 6 months of the symptoms subsiding. What are my options as I just cannot stand the feeling any longer.

Numbness After Facelift at 18 Months

+1

The numbness after the facelift at 18 months is likely permanent.  Unfortunately, the options may not be great.  A sensory nerve graft could be placed but would involve another surgery and the nerve end would have to be identified, which is difficult.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Numbness After Facelift

+1

You may want to bring up your concern with your surgeon. Most numbness usually resolves in 6-12 months although there may be small patches where the sensation doesn't fully return.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

Significant numbness of the face at 18 months is unexpected.

+1

Most patients have significant return of sensibility to the face by 6 months.  By a year, almost all patients feel that their skin feels like it did before surgery.  There may be small numb areas, but they are usually just a curiosity.

Numbness following facelift

+1

Numbness following a facelift may be caused by nerve damage. A facelift can result in nerve damage that is temporary or permanent. Nerve damage from a facelift can result in the following side effects:

1) Numbness of the face
2) Difficulty making certain facial expressions
3) Ear numbness
4) Drooping of facial features (mouth or cheek)

In general, most temporary nerve damage that occurs from a facelift will be resolve in anywhere from 6 months to a year. It may take longer for a complete recovery, but it depends on the patient and the circumstances of the issue. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding the issue and ask him or her what treatment options are available for you based on your individual needs. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon