Bilateral implant in assymetric breast?

Hey. I had very assymetric breasts growing up my left one hadn't grown and my right was about 3 cup sizes bigger so had an implant in one and a mastopexy in the bigger one, which although they differ in shape and form, helped my issue. My implant is now capsulated but hasn't ruptured, it's quite uncomfortable and as I had this done under the health service in England they now don't replace them for free. I'm thinking as I have to go private I'm wondering whether it's a better option to have an implant in both? To maybe ensure the right breast has a similar jape to the implanted side, which I'm guessing would mean having a bigger implant in the smaller breast!

Alterating the shape of asymmetrical breasts

+1

Your left breast has a capsular contracture and needs to be replaced.  At that time, the implant size can be selected to more closely match your opposite side.  It is possible to change the shape of your breast at the time of implant replacement with a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  If you are satisfied with the volume of the larger breast then there would be no need for an implant, the shape can be changed without it.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry options

+1

abound in your situation.  If you are going to go private, you should make sure your surgeon understands you concerns and goals.  Getting a second opinion would not be a bad idea also.  Yes, you could have a major reduction of your larger side and use same sized implants but you already know implants bring risks with their use.  I personally prefer not to use an implant if it isn't needed.  Your capsule could be removed or used to create a neopocket and a new implant would be mandatory.  You could choose a textured gel implant as well in hopes of diminishing your risks for another contracture.  Your doctor should help you navigate the maze of choices and the pros and cons of each.

Curtis Wong, MD

Asymmetry and capsule contracture

+1

Sounds like you have appropriate concerns. It's impossible to make any recommendations without an examination, much less without photos. Make some consultations and get some opinions. Figure out if your really want your bigger breast any bigger. Try to bring photos of yourself before your surgery to the consultation so your surgeon has a better idea of where you started.Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Breast asymmetry does not require implant in larger breast.

+1

Hi.

On the contrary, you probably should consider a breast reduction of the larger breast.  Then you can have release of the contracture and replacement with a smaller implant in the smaller breast.   It is very hard to get lasting  symmetry when one breast is very large.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast issues

+1

If you have a capsular contracture, it is probably a good idea to have it corrected. As for the other breast it is difficult to say without an exam.

Asymmetry

+1

It all depends on the relative size of one to the other. There is no way to say without seeing you and discussing what your specific goals are. Best to have a consultation and not be online

Michael Hueneke, MD

Bilateral implant in asymetric breast

+1

Yes, it is usually easier to achieve symmetry if an implant is placed in each side, and yes, the implants would be of different sizes. 

Your best option now is to consult with a surgeon who can review all the possibilities and choose what every is best to reach your goal.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.