Bilateral Baker IV CC and Mild Pain After 10 Months of BA- Will CC Reoccur With Revision? (photo)

10 months ago I had a BA with Mentor silicone implants under the muscle. I developed CC at 10 wks. w/severe pain at 13 weeks & have intermittent pain. I have bilateral Baker IV CC. I got opinions from 3 PS, 2 of whom felt the implants were placed "too high" (after viewing before & after pics.) All PS ca do the re-do, but I just want an honest opinion. Am I candidate for a re-do; should I just give up and have them removed? What is the statistical re-incidence rate for someone like me?

Risk of recurrent capsular contracture is high with implant exchange

+2

Capsular contracture around breast implants is a poorly understood process.  Once you have this problem, implant removal and exchange, even with different pocket creation and different positioning of the implant still has a high risk of recurrent capsular contracture.  If you are willing to take the implants out, let things heal and then go back and replace the implants, the inflammatory process causeing the capsular contracture can heal, and the risk of recurrence goes down again.  Admittedly, this is not something patients like to do, have two surgeries and spend some months between without the implants, but I encourage this approach in my practice.  Good luck

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

+1

Baker grade IV capsular contracture is an unfortunate problem.  One that usually requires an open capsulotomy.  After release, aggressive massage as well as Singulair are your best options.  If you are 10 months out you've waited long enough.  My experience with Singulair is to use it early and for at least 2-3 months.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Capule contracture

+1

Once you have a capsule, there is always an increase incidence for recurrence.  Placement of acellular dermal matrice at the time of revision surgery does appear to decrease the incidence of capsule reformation but is expensive.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD