Can You Do Bikram After Getting Cool Sculpt?

Bikram yoga is 90 mins of yoga in a heated room up to 102degrees. Can I start doing hot yoga right after getting cool sculpt on my lower abdomen? I know that the science behind cool sculpting is freezing the fat cells; will gearing them back up right away and sweating a lot reverse the freeze and dying of fat cells?

Avoid bikram yoga immediately after CoolSculpting

+1

There are no studies of which I'm aware that has studied the effectiveness of CoolSculpting preceding hot yoga. I would not imagine that the adipocytes (fat cells) that die from the freezing can be brought back to life from the heat, and your core temperature stays about the same despite ambient temperature and exercise, but I would be concerned about increased inflammation and possibly tenderness. 

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

CoolSculpting and yoga

+1

It certainly is a great sign that you want to continue your fitness routine. You probably would be fine doing hot yoga the same day, but why take any chances. It is a very intense and very hot procedure Wait 24 and you'll be fine.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Bikram Yoga and Coolsculpting

+1

I have not seen any studies indicating that you cannot do bikram yoga after Coolsculpting treatment.  The fat cells are frozen during the treatment and you cannot reverse this, but I would suggest asking your doctor about how long you should wait before returning to your workouts.

Working Out After CoolSculpting

+1
Yes, you can do bikram yoga afterwards. The fat cells that were frozen are permanently gone, and your workout will not reverse this. The procedure is completely non-surgical, so typically you can return to normal activities immediately. Some patients experience redness, minor bruising, tingling, numbness or discomfort in the treated area, but this is temporary and will resolve completely. Often times, patients return to work after the session is over.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Coolsculpting and Bikram Yoga

+1

Although there is no good studies looking specifically at this question, I would defer to your surgeon and wait 48 hours before considering this.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Cool Scuplting by Zeltiq is safe.

+1
Yes you can. This procedure is completely non-surgical. So typically you can return to normal activities immediately.

Michele S. Green, MD

The CoolSculpt freeze is instant and permanent.

+1

Not a problem. The CoolSculpt freeze is instant and permanent. The Yoga will not reverse that.

David Goldberg, MD

Other than some discomfort, yoga will not affect the results of coolsculpting

+1

Although you may feel some of the effects of the coolsculpting treatment during your yoga session it should not affect the effectiveness of the coolsculpting treatment in reducing the fat treated.  If you feel that the sensation of skin burning or hypersensitivity increases too much during yoga you may want to cut the yoga session short and entertain the idea of taking some neurontin.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Yoga after Coolsculpting

+1

Greetings~

Doing bikram or any other type of yoga won't effect the efficacy or end results of your treatment.  Once the fat cells freeze, the work is done and you can go back to your normal routine.  The only thing that may keep you from going right back is some soreness or bruising.  (Some patients would rather not have to explain a rectangular bruise on their abdomen to fellow yogis). 

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD