Bikini Line Incision to Be Used in Tummy Tuck?

Can a bikini-line incision be used as the site of a Tummy tuck procedure?

+1
In short, yes.  Incision sites can be adjusted and placed within certain limitations based on your goals.  

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Tummy tuck

+1

Yes, in fact old incisions like these are commonly used for tummy tuck.  Bear in mind that the new incision will be longer than the existing scar.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Bikini line incision for Tummy Tuck

+1

Depends what you mean by bikin-line incision, but in general, tummy tuck incisions can be placed very low. With most of my patients, I am able to place the incision 6-7cm above the vulvar commissure. This is just above a typical C-section incision and well-hidden by most bikinis. If you have significant skin laxity out to the flanks, then the incision is typically longer and rides a little higher laterally making it difficult for most bikinis to cover the edges of the scar. Just remember, tummy tuck patients are among the happiest cosmetic surgery patients. I have rarely, if ever, had any complaints of the scar since the chance is so dramatic. Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD

Tummy Tuck Incision

+1

A very low incision is used during a tummy tuck. This incision should be carefully placed so that it is hidden beneath underwear or a bikini. The surgeon should take into account the style of bathing suit or underwear that you prefer to wear. When planning the incision, I always have the patient put on the underwear or bikini so that I can be sure to place the incision in a hidden area. As fashions change, so to does the incision placement (jeans and pants have gotten lower, so my incision has also!).

So, to answer your question, a "bikini line" incision is an accurate term.

Matthew Schulman, MD