Getting Bigger Implants-whats an Appropriate Size?

I'm 5'8 and 130lbs. I had breast augmentation last year using 330cc moderate profile, saline unders.They are much smaller than I had anticipated. I'm getting them re-done soon, and am struggling with the size implant. I am looking for a rounder look (fuller on the top) as well as bigger. My surgeon suggested a 425cc high profile implant this time but keeps cautioning me that they are going to look "really big" on me. I'm afraid if I go with anything smaller, it won't be enough of a change.

What is an appropriate size is difficult to determine

+2

without your ability to 'see' what you will look like with that specific volume.  Since you already have implants in and wish to be larger, the rice test is a reliable way to help you determine what increase in size will work for you.  I tell my patients they can put rice in a knee hi nylon stocking, twist it half way up and then invert it so the rice doesn't spill out and then place it into the bra cup you would like to fill and make sure it fills the cup to your desire and you have an idea of what volume you need to provide the look you want. 1 cup = 240 cc's

Changing implant sizes

+1

The change in implant volume of about 100 cc will amount to about one half a cup size. If you use an implant that has a wider base diameter than your existing implant you will get an improvement in the upper pole fullness and  medial fullness.  If this is the shape you desire then going to this size implant seems to be appropriate.  

Large Implants do not create upper pole fullness

+1

Currently you have 330 cc saline implants and want to increase to 425 cc saline implants. This is approximately 100 cc increase.  If you are size 32 or 34 then that will correspond to 1 cup size change and if you are size 36 or 38 that will correspond to a 1/2 cup size change.  You complain that you do not have adequate upper pole fullness.  The reason you do not have upper pole fullness is your implants have descended inferiorly and laterally.  More important than the implant size is a breast lift.  Through a circumareola incision your implants can be exchanged, your breast tissue elevated and your nipples elevated (Mini Ultimate Breast Lift).  I highly recommend this procedure to you.  Implants alone will not solve your problem regardless of the size.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implants for Revisionary Breast Surgery

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Although somewhat difficult to determine accurately based on the picture you have provided, you do have a moderate amount of breast asymmetry present with  one of the breast implants sitting lower on the chest wall compared to the other. Keep in mind that unless  this breast implant asymmetry is addressed during the revision breast surgery, continued breast asymmetry  to be expected.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you precise advice  regarding implant selection without direct examination and a full communication of your goals.
I would suggest you spend additional time discussing the goals with your plastic surgeonMake sure that you communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon ( I prefer the use of goal pictures)  and ask him/her to do his/her best to achieve the results you are looking for.  You may want to leave it up to him/her to use a breast implant that he/she feels will do the job based on intraoperative evaluation.

Again, the preoperative communication of goals is critical.  Once you feel comfortable that you have communicated your goals clearly ( assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully),  you will likely feel comfortable allowing him/her to choose the appropriate breast implants for you.

+1

While it is challenging and requires a lot of communication to choose an implant size for patient having a primary breast enlargement, is even more difficult to choose a size in a patient who wishes to get larger or smaller implants. We no longer have an opportunity to have our patients try on implants for sizing trials. 

One thing that is sometimes useful for woman wanting larger implants he is to do a "rice test".  Find a loose fitting brassiere or sports bra and fill a stocking with rice, contour it  around her breast and see how much rice you need to get to the size you desire. This will give you a rough idea of how much larger an  implant you may wish to select. 

It is true that a 425 cc implant may look quite large. But it's also to that an enlargement of 350 cc might be almost unnoticeable. 

You are struggling because it is a difficult decision.Try the rice test and then go back and your surgeon to evaluate your options. Thank you for the question, best wishes.