Bigger Belly After Smartlipo Still After Almost 3 Weeks, How Long Before for It Will Shrink And/or Heal?

I had Smartlipo MPX 18 days ago, knees, inner thighs and upper and lower abdomen, a total of 600cc from these areas was removed. I am ideal body weight with those areas never responding to exercise. I am seeing the knee results, barely the thigh area and my belly is now bigger then it ever was!! It does have the "lumps that I am massaging and I am in a compression garment at this time. My Dr. saw me follow up 1 week was not concerned with swelling and suggested massage to areas if not to tender.

Post Lipo

+1
At only under 3 weeks you certainly have swelling that would mask the result of your surgery. I tell my patients to be careful about salt intake as this can make swelling worse. It can easily take 2-3 months to see your final results after a big surgery like you had.  Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo healing time

+1

Give yourself time to heal properly, follow your surgeon’s instructions. You may still be swollen under the skin.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Fullness after liposuction

+1

It is very common to have swelling (or edema) in the areas that have been treated with liposuction. It is advisable to wear a compression garment for about 6weeks after liposuction to help avoid or diminish the swelling. The swelling will continue to improve with time. It can take up to 6 months to see complete resolution of the edema. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal swelling after Smartlipo

+1

It is not uncommon to have tissue swelling or even fluid collection such as a seroma after liposuction especially when using a device as a LASER that heats or burns tissue. In my practice, we perform intensive post-lipo care for the first 7-10 days after the procedure to help remove excess fluid and allow the tissue to contract and generally switch to less compressive guarments after that period so as to minimize venous or lymphatic congestion. 18 days is early but if seroma is left untreated, it may form a long-term fullness or "lump" which is difficult to correct in the future. I would advise close follow up with your surgeon.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon