How Big Can I Go when Under the Muscle?

I am having BA surgery in a week. My PS said there was no way to tell exactly how big I could go until the surgery since my pectoral muscle would only expand so much. I am 5'5" and 135 pounds and I have a fairly athletic build. My concern is that I am paying all this money and I'll only be able to go up a little in size. What would be a realistic idea of how big I could go. Using the measurements I have - I am about a 34B right now - maybe a little smaller.

Implant size

+1

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Big implants under the muscle

+1

You should be able to have a pretty good idea of what size implant you are going to get before the surgery starts. There is no more restriction in sizing when placing the implant either over or under the muscle. I still use sizers to make my final decision about what implant looks absolutely best in the OR, but I am almost always within 25 cc of my pre-operative plan. You can probably have as big of an implant as you want, but I would caution you that bigger is really not always better.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How Big Can the Implants Be in Submuscular Position

+1

Implant Size should be determined prior to the operation and not on the table.  You can try on sizers to get an estimate of how large you will look.  Then the implant needs to be appropriate for your chest wall width.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA

Setup for DISAPPOINTMENT!

+1

Any good Plastic Surgeon would spend time preoperatively to take your measurements and go through a sizing protocol (trying different implants in a bra) to help you determine the optimal size of the implants you should get.  How big you can go or SHOULD GO is a combination of what size would properly fit your body (chest and breast diameter, amount of breast tissue, height, weight, etc.) and the ultimate look that you want.  The skin and muscle stretches postoperatively over the subsequent weeks and months as the breast implants settle into position.  By not determining the size of implants to use before your surgery you are setting yourself up for disappointment!!!

Eric Sadeh, MD

You are most likely to be satisfied if you and the surgeon agree on size of implant prior to surgery

+1

After performing over 2000 breast augmentations, I can assure you that it is best for you and the surgeon to agree on your plan of a surgery prior to going to the operating room, includin implant size.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

No limit to the size of a submuscular implant within reason.

+1

You should go into the operating room with the surgeon completely familiar what size you want from the operation.  I prefer the patient bringing me a picture of their preference.  There really is no upper limit on size unless the patient is absurd.

How Big can you Go?

+1

Today I placed an 800cc high profile silicone  implant under the muscle in a patient. The question you should ask is not how big can you go but rather how big should you go?

Jay M. Pensler, MD

How big of Implants can I have?

+1

Thanks for the question.  Truthfully one can go quite large when it comes to primary augmentations.  It's not a problem to place a 500-600cc implant.  There are always conversations that you need to have before placing a larger implant with your doctor.  You need to make sure you are aware of how these sizes will transform you body and the clothing that you will wear following the surgery.  There are sizing systems made by Mentor (an implant company) that help to simulate what size you will be following the surgery.  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

+1

Big is not always better! The right size is the size that fits your needs and expectations and that can be safely and properly placed on your chest wall. If the skin of your breast and chest wall is tight the size may be limited by this.

An experienced plastic surgeon should be able to give you proper guidance after a few simple measurements. Unfortunately, this is not something that can be done well with photographs or online without actually examining you. 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Concerns about Achieving Breast Size with Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question.  You are correct in thatthe most common regret after breast augmentation surgery is “I wish I was bigger”. As you can imagine, despite your good description of your body type, it is not possible to give you precise advice online. Hopefully, you have done your due diligence carefully in the selection of plastic surgeon. Assuming this to be the case, you will need to trust him/her to achieve your goals to the best of his/her abilities.

It will be critical that you communicate these goals carefully/clearly prior to the procedure.  If you still have concerns about this communication process, you will be better off spending additional time with your plastic surgeon as opposed to receiving potentially conflicting advice from online consultants.

Generally speaking, your plastic surgeon is correct in that sometimes it is not possible to predict exactly what breast implant size/volume can be safely used,  until time of surgery.