Too Big or Unnatural?

I am a 36c bra size, but droopy after children and age, getting a lift with a 320cc high profile implant. I have quite a bit of my own tissue. Thinking about going even smaller with implant. Just want upperpole fullness. Any input?

Implant sizing

Without knowing your height weight or chest wall measurements it is hard to say for sure. Your breast do appear fairly full though and I tend to use smaller implants in these cases and recruit the breast tissue to provide cup fill. I use high profile implants commonly, but in cases such as your I tend to go with lower profile implants as you have enough of your own tissue to create projection. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. It is much better to accurately discuss implant volume and projection with an in office exam and detailed measurements.

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements/characteristics. I use these measurements to help me during the sizing process to guide you to a safe result for your chest wall and just as important, one that meets your end desires.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor. The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant. It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you during the sizing process.

In addition, review of photos and use of rice bags can be very helpful to the patient and surgeon in achieving a safe and happy result. Close intereaction and involvement from your surgeon during this process can help alleviate the anxiety and fears of choosing the right size.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implantation not the only way to increase upper breast fullness

I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the Wise pattern or lollipop incisions. Instead, the incisions are hidden around the areola and in the inframammary fold. Your breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without implants. If you are already a C and you undergo 320 cc implants you will be larger than D. The disadvantage of implants are descent, capsular contracture and leakage. Implants are NOT the only technique to increase upper breast fullness. Best Wishes, Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implant Sizing #breastimplants

You do have quite a bit of your own tissue. What an implant will do is give you the upper pole volume that a lift alone will not. I like high profile implants but it has to fit your goals and also fit what you are looking for. High profile implants tend to project very much and if you do not want that full look I would stay away from those. I would stick with a lower profile implant and that seems like it would achieve your goals. If you do not like what you hear from one consult go to several and eventually you will feel the trust and know that is the right surgeon for you.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Implant Sizing to achieve your goals

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

That's pretty big

A 320 cc implant added to your breasts will give you likely dd or larger breasts.  Just a lift will give you some upper pole fullness and a very small implant could add more volume but even the smallest implant will take you up a cup size

Too Big or Unnatural?

You have so much natural breast tissue, you can have a nice look without implants. But your tissue is so low that in order to have a lasting lift it will be necessary to create significant internal support of the breast tissue to the underlying muscle. In my opinion doing that kind of lift and an implant at the same time raises the risk of poor skin healing to the point I would recommend doing the lift, then later the implant IF you still think you need it. In my experience (30 years) I have found that half the patients that follow this advice realize no implant is necessary. If so, you are way ahead of the game because if you get implants you will surely need further surgery at some time in your future. they are great if you need them, but I have a feeling you will not.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Lift with Implant

From the photo and your description, it seems you have plenty of volume with your own breast. Hence, you would not need a very large implant. However, upper pole fullness is best achieved with the addition of an implant. although this can make the procedure more complex.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Implant size may be needed to achieve upper pole fullness

You may need that implants size to achieve the upper pole fullness you desire - I would recommend discussing this again with your surgeon.

Determining implant size with a lift

It is often difficult for women to decide their implant size when also performing a mastopexy.  Your photos demonstrate the involution often seen following child birth and breast feeding.  A mastopexy will give you a nicer breast shape and position and the implant will give you more upper pole fullness.  The best person to help you with size choice is your surgeon who will determine the amount of expected compression of the breast by the mastopexy procedure, and assess what volume is necessary to achieve the appropriate upper pole fullness.  Implants in the 200 cc to 350 cc range are typical for women in your situation, just depending upon the amount of augmentation you desire.

You may see an office which offers the Vectra 3D breast imaging.  This system takes a 3D photo of your chest and allows you to preview your augmentation result.  The newest software release we just received allows us to simulate mastopexy procedures for the first time.

Gilbert Lee, MD