Big Thick Wide Bulbous Nose - Options?

I am considering nose surgery but before I embark in it all I would like to know if my nose can look less like one of those animals from the muppet show with the round noses stuck on the front. Please give your honest opinion whether an improvement could be made and what I should expect post op.

Thick nasal skin limits results of rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty that will improve the way your nose looks to complement your facial features in a natural fashion. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon.

That being said, having a thick nasal skin can limit the extent of change a rhinoplasty can offer you hence expectations should be realistic but NOT lowered!

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Nasal skin thickness and rhinoplasty - nose job

Your nasal skin is quite thick and would need to be thinned (from the under side) during your rhinoplasty or nose job.  Cartilage shaping and suturing would need to be performed to make your nasal tip less bulbous and more refined.  However, the amount of refinement will depend on how much your nasal skin contracts postoperatively. Good luck.  

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thickness of nasal skin severely limits outcome from Rhunoplasty

Thickness of skin of nose has a direct impact on result of rhinoplasty.  Rhinoplasty delivers its cosmetic result by sculpting the bone and cartilage structure of nose.  Skin of nose simply drapes over the new structure to give nose its new look.

Thick and heavy skin will not drape nicely and will mask any improvements.  Thus the outcome will not show through.

In your case I will catagoricaly advice against rhinoplasty. It will do nothing for you.  Surgery may actually backfire since surgical scarring can make your skin even thicker and less resilient.  Do not have rhinoplasty. 

Vasdev Rai, MD