How Big is the Chance That U Might Keloid when Getting a Lipo or Breast Implant?

I want to get a lipo and breast implant and I'm worried I might keloid? How big is the chance? Because my skin tends to keloid. I have one on my neck from a car accident. Is there a specific technique that can be used to brevent it from keloiding?

Preventing Keloids During Breast Augmentation

+1

For keloid formers, there is not a way to prevent keloids.  In general, the longer the scar or the greater the number of scars, the greater the chance for keloids.  You may want to consider transumbilical breast augmentation if you are a good candidate.  This creates only a 1.5 cm scar.  You will need at least 8 cm of scar to place them by the other routes.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Keloids after lipo and breast aug

+1

One of the first things to clarify is what a keloid is.  A keloid is a thick, hypertrophic scar that extends beyond the boundaries of the incision -- almost like a scar tumor.  A hypertrophic scar is just a thick scar -- this may be raised or red or both.  People will frequently develop hypertrophic scars or just wide scars after traumatic accidents or in areas of a lot of mobility -- like over joints.  Few people develop a true keloid.  If you do have a true keloid, there are measures that can be taken to minimize the chances of it occurring -- I would suggest that you discuss these options with your plastic surgeon.  He or she will be able to determine if you have a true keloid and discuss your options for treatment and prevention with other surgeries.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Keloid after surgery

+1

The first plan of attack needs to be to determine what you develop is actually a keloid which by definition will go beyond the boundaries of the incision or wound or a hypertrophic scar. There are techniques which reduces them from developing.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Keloid

+1

It is very difficult to say whether you will keloid or not.  I wonder if  the scar you have on your neck is a true keloid vs a hypertrophic scar.  Also if your neck wound was closed under tension or had an infection could have contributed to scar formation. There are some precautions you can do to help prevent excess scarring such as wound taping, silicone sheeting, etc.;  these will not help much with a true keloid which may require steroid injections.  Have your surgeon evaluate your present scar to help determine your possibilty of scarring with other surgeries.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Keloid formation following breast augmentation and liposuction

+1

The likelihood  of unfavorable scarring will depend upon the appearance of your current scars, how they were created, how they were closed and whether you had any postoperative wound complications. One bad scar somewhere else on your body doesn't automatically condemn you to have more bad scarring. However, it is a warning sign and each case needs to be evaluated independently to give a patient an idea of how another scar will heal. Many patients who think they have 'keloids' actually have hypertrophic scarring. This scarring, although genetically influenced can frequently be improved by gentle handling of tissues, avoidance of infection and splinting of the skin with post surgical taping. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Chance of Keloid Scar

+1

To accurately answer your question a photo or physical exam is needed.  The medical community does not know what causes scars to keloid, but it is more prevelent in certain races.  If you are predisposed to keloid scars it does not mean you will get one, but there is no means to prevent the condition.  Have a plastic surgeon provide guidance after an exam.  Best of luck to you.

Bernard Kopchinski, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Chance of keloid?

+1

It would be helpful to see a photo of your neck scar. What you consider a keloid may be far removed from what a keloid actually is.

As an example, a small (1/16 inch) bump at the site of an ear piercing is not a keloid. A bump the size of a marble, which is well larger than the initial trauma, is a keloid.

An injury caused by a car accident is more likely to have an unfavorable scar as compared with a scar from a scalpel at surgery. There are medications and dressing techniques that can decrease the chances of getting a keloid. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.