Am I Going Too Big?

I am comfortable with my surgeon but I don't want to make bad choice so doing extra research. I am 33 y/o 5'3" 165lbs. I work out often to stay fit so i dont look fat. I have had one child who is now almost 18 years old. After some weight loss, I am a size D now, not happy with shape and I want to get back to my FULL DD and get a good, full, round shape. We chose 600 cc implants and he is going to reduce my natural size slightly during procedure to get the shape I want. Will 600cc be too big? Please Help!  Surgery Friday Aug. 12, 2011.

Implant Selection Process

+1

Thank you for your question.  Since your surgeon will be removing breast tissue, it is difficult to make recommendation on  implant size without an exam.  Generally speaking, Larger implants increase the risk of complications such as implant malposition, which can be very difficult to correct longterm.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

600 cc Implant Too Big?

+1

From your description, a D breast to start in combination with a 600 cc implant will likely be very large. So large, it might impact your ability to be physically active. The only issue is how much breast tissue your surgeon removes. This allows your doctor to take away where you normally have too much (lower on the breast) and replace it with volume where you want it - in the upper aspect of the breast. This is a commonly performed procedure called a minus/plus technique. Adding and subtracting volume to keep the overall size similar. There is likely no way the surgeon will be able to remove a similar volume as he/she is adding so keep this in mind with respect to your ultimate volume.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

600cc too big of an implant

+1

I cannot say if that is too big or not.. it depends on your body type, your current amount of breast tissue and your "desired goal".  I ask patients to bring in photos of what they want to achieve (shape / size) so that I can understand what they are looking for because if you say "full DD", it's hard for us to know exactly what you are wanting.  Make sure your surgeon has experience with this type of breast surgery as well as with the larger implants.  

Breast Implants and Lift

+1

It is truly impossible to evaluate without pictures and probably a physical examination.  600 cc are large implants, especially for a woman who is 5'3" tall starting out with D cup breasts, and is physically active.  It sound like you are getting a mastopexy (breast lift) with the augmentation.  There is NO JUSTIFICATION in my opinion for "reducing your natural size slightly," which to me means removing breast glandular tissue, and replacing it with implant volume.  Your natural breast tissue is soft and normal.  To replace it with less natural and less normal implant volume makes little sense, and will not improve your shape (my opinion).  Better not to remove any of your breast tissue, do a lift only (no reduction), and use a smaller implant.  The larger proportion of your final result that is implant, the more your breasts will look, feel, and behave like implants, and the less they will look, feel, and behave like normal breasts.

Steve Laverson, MD