Big Lumps and Swelling 2 Weeks After Sculptra Injections That Have Continued for 2 Months?

I had 2 vials of Sculptra injected 6 weeks apart almost a year ago and loved it. I went back 8 months later for another vial but this time lumps appeared 2 weeks after the injections in the center of my cheeks. After 2 rounds of saline injections, my face began to swell. Prednisone was a temporary fix. The lumps are still there and at least 1-1 1/2" round and hard and the apple of my cheeks are swollen. I've been on antibiotics for weeks. A reputable plastic surgeon did the injections.

Lumps and Swelling After Sculptra

+1

Thank you for your question. This is very uncommon and I would ask them how long in advance the product was mixed.  If it was mixed the day of service, this may contribute to the response.  If the lumps do not resolve, they may need to be excised.  If you failed to massage your face as directed, then that may be the cause of your lumps.  Massaging is essential according top the regimen prescribed. I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

Techniques for minimizing risk of nodules after Sculptra injection

+1

With proper reconstitution and injection techniques the risk of nodule formation is minimized but still present.  When these nodules form, they will eventually resolve spontaneously but injections of steroid and 5-FU can help to expedite this process.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Treatment of Sculptra lumps

+1

In a recent study, 8.5% of patients injected with Sculptra experienced formation of nodules. All nodules could be felt but were not visible. The onset of nodule formation from the time of injection can vary. Early nodules appear one to three months after treatment and most spontaneously disappear. Intralesional injections of very dilute triamcinolone can be quite helpful for you at this point.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps and swelling 2 weeks after Sculptra to cheeks

+1

It is unusual, but not impossible, to develop nodules in the cheeks after Sculptra injections.  You mentioned treatment with saline, prednisone and antibiotics, but the only treatment I have found to be effective is injecting a steroid medication, like Kenalog, directly into the nodules.  This normally improves the problem within a few days.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon