Cost to Remove Large Lipoma on Back?

How Big is a Large Lipoma? Mine is the Size of a Boneless Chicken Breast--at Least 4-5 In. I noticed this about 8 years ago and the Dr. told me not to worry about it unless it got bigger. It's gotten bigger, albeit slowly, but it's now the size of a boneless chicken breast--that's what I call it (or my back boob). It can be seen through my shirt and I'd like to get it removed but can't afford it if it's considered elective cosmetic surgery. I want it removed before it gets bigger! How much would it cost?

Options for back lipomas and removal of back lipomas

+1

Lipoma surgery is relatively straightforward and the costs include professional fees and surgery center fees. Your large lipoma will likely be removed under local anesthetic, unless you have specific medical problems that must be addressed.  Surgical fees vary from city to city, but your best bet would be to go to a board certified plastic surgeon for the lipoma removal. 

Removal of a symptomatic lipoma is usually not considered cosmetic surgery

+1

Lipoma removal, particularly symptomatic ones like yours, is usually not considered to be cosmetic in nature. Therefore, it most probably would be covered by your insurance. The total cost to you would depend on your particular insurance plan.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Its covered by insurance

+1

its covered by insurance. it is a back mass which is symptomatic and enlarging.  i am a plastic sugeon who removes many of these. i even use tumescent anesthesia sometimes to remove large ones in the office. i always send them off to the pathologist too to make sure nothing is found in the tissue removed. the chance is remote but it is safest to send all tissues off. i once found a basal cell carcinoma in a skin tag.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon