I consulted with an ENT about my deviated septum and I have doubts about the diagnosis. Is 5 day hospitalization common?

This is a followup question to this one: http://www.realself.com/question/rhinoplasty-septoplasty5. My doctor recommends septoplasty along with turbinate reduction (if not cured by septoplasty alone) as separate surgeries with a month gap in between. I thought they both could be done in a single surgery. Also, there is a 5 day hospitalization involved. Is this the common case? Aren't these done in an outpatient manner?

Most procedures to the nose can be done at the same time

+2
Almost all patients will go home the same night as a nasal procedure. I would normally perform the septoplasty and inferior turbinates at the same time. I would also do whatever sinus and cosmetic surgery you would need at the same time. If a nasal septum was crooked at the tip then straightening the septum alone could make the nose straighter. If the bones were crooked you would need a septorhinoplasty which could be done at the same time. Any time you feel uncomfortable with a medical opinion you would be very reasonable to get a second opinion. 

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty, turbinectomy with or without rhinoplasty is usually an outpatient procedure

+2
Each individual surgeon has their preferences, but I prefer to address a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates at the same time. As for straightening a crooked nose, septoplasty can correct the very bottom (as viewed from below), but will not straighten the nose as it appears from the front. That would require a rhinoplasty.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

septoplasty and turbinate reduction are outpatient surgical procedures

+2
 Performing a septoplasty and/or turbinate surgery is an outpatient surgical procedure, not an inpatient surgical procedure.   Since it is an outpatient procedure, patients go home the day of the surgery, and are not admitted to the hospital. Both procedures are usually performed together under one anesthetic, and not done separately.

Deviated septum

+2
I looked at your photos and previous post.  Surgery to repair a deviated septum, or septoplasty, is typically performed to improve airflow in the nose and is not a cosmetic operation.  Turbinate reduction is frequently done with septoplasty and does not add much to the recovery.  When external changes are made, the surgery is really more of a rhinoplasty at that point.  The recovery may be slightly longer.  However, at least in the US, it would be quite unusual to keep a patient 5 days in the hospital.  The vast majority of these surgeries are done as an outpatient.  Overnight stays may be required for some patients with medical problems or in other extenuating circumstances.  To answer your previous question, I'm sure there are many fine surgeons in India that can perform your surgery.  It would be very presumptuous to say that surgeons in the US are generally superior.  This is certainly not the case.  No matter in what country you have the surgery done, however, it is always wise to check out your surgeon's credentials and get a feel for his previous work.  Make sure you choose someone who does a lot of nose surgery.  Good luck!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon