Big Eyelids 6 Weeks After Revision Ptosis Surgery. Do I still have any swelling? (photos)

My eyelid seem to be expanded after my revision surgery a month ago. I have a primary surgery in end apr, few days later follow by a revision surgery to correct my ptosis. As days go by, it seem there is still no improvement on my eyelid swelling, the shape is still the same. Please advice me what can I do now? Any doctor that I can consult for my case beside my own doctor? Please tell me do I still have any swelling? Have anyone come across the same problem as mine, please enlighten me, thanks.

Eyelid Surgery

+1

You should be seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for this or an Oculoplastic surgeon for further information.  This is a surgery requiring very delicate work, and experience.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

You need to wait till swelling resolved

+1

I would think that you will need revision. The incision over the left eyelid is too high and you need to have surgery on the right for symmetry. Please send your pre surgery pictures. It will help to make better recommendation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid Revision Surgery is challenging

+1

Dear Jospang2

Six weeks is still early after eyelid surgery, and in order to fully assess your situation, one would need the preoperative photos for comparison.

However based on the photos you have posted, it seems that you have significant eyelid crease asymmetry. Now, during the edematous [swollen] period, this asymmetry is certainly exaggerated, but it seems to me that once the swelling resolves [and it will, although more slowly in revision cases], that you still will have eyelid crease asymmetry.

I would recommend waiting at least six months, and possibly up to a year before seeking another consultation with an experienced Oculoplastics surgeon that has extensive experience with Asian Eyelids. Remain patient for now as you are still in the early postop period.

AJ Amadi

seatteface com

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Asymmetry After Surgery

+1

Jospang,

Your left upper lid appears slightly lower than the right.  This could be swelling.  However, swelling does not explain the asymmetry in your eyelid creases.  I think you will have asymmetry in your creases when you are fully healed.  I recommend you see an oculoplastic surgeon, preferably one who is a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS).  You can visit the ASOPRS website to find a surgeon or surgeons near you.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

So many issues here.

+1

Jospang

It is most unusual to take someone back to surgery a few days after an initial eyelid surgery to perform a revisional ptosis surgery a few days later.  Generally eyelids swell after eyelid surgery.  We expect them to be heavy and ptotic after eyelid surgery.  So the appropriate thing to do in such a situation is to be confident in what was done at the time of surgery and just let things heal.  If you did heal with a ptotic eyelid, which certainly can happen, for the purpose of getting the most accurate results, generally it is helpful, no matter how frustrating, to wait about 6 months after the original surgery before doing a revisional surgery.  I would discourage you from returning to this surgeon for more surgery without first getting other opinions.  He or she may have good intentions and perhaps your issue for having surgery was so complex that this outcome represents and improvement.  However, you show remarkable asymmetry between the two sides in the photographs.

You will have some improvement in the left upper eyelid position with more healing but ultimately, you will benefit from reconstruction for this situation.