How Big Will my Breasts Stay After Swelling Reduces?

I am 5'4, 118 lbs., and wore a 34b or 36a bra prior to surgery (depending on the manufacturer). I am 7 days post op and still very swollen and my breasts are sitting high. I had 300 cc saline implants on right side and 350 cc on left due to asymmetry. I tried on a normal (not support) bra today and I filled a 36 D. Will my breasts stay this size or will they decrease a cup size after the swelling reduces? Thanks in advance.

Swelling after Breast Augmentation. Whats normal and expected ?

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

At  7 days post-op, you are still very early in your recovery course and should expect a significant amount of swelling at this point. In general, 80 % of the swelling will resolve by 6 weeks and it may take several months to have total resolution of swelling. I would be surprised if, given your described dimensions and implant size, you would end up with a D cup, unless of course, you gained a lot of weight post-operatively for unrelated reasons.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Implant volume selection and cup size

+1

A 300 cc implant will usually increase your cup size by 1 1/2 cup sizes.  This is only an approximate number and cup size will vary between the different manufacturers.  Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource for helping you pick the correct breast implant to match your body.

Breast and bra size after breast augmentation

+1

I know that many of my patients can't wait to go out there and start bra shopping after breast augmentation. I do though  recommend that they wait at least 3 weeks before doing so. This is because during the first couple of weeks there is noticible swelling, and a bra fitting at this time would be difficult.

I would recommend that you at least give it another 2 weeks before judging what bra size you will be. It may take a couple of months before your implants are sitting in the correct position and the swelling has come down.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Bra size and breast augmentation

+1

At 7 days post op you are certainly swollen. My patients are encouraged to wear a post operative bra for a period of 6 weeks.  We then allow patients to get fitted.  You will setle over the next few weeks and given your implant size will likely be a C cup.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast size after breast augmentation

+1

It is too early to tell.  Don't waste any money on bras yet.  All the swelling will be gone when your breasts don't get any smaller, which typically takes a few weeks.  Cup sizes vary based on manufacturers.  Ultimately find one which fits and enjoy your new breasts.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Bra sizes cannot be determined 7 days post op.

+1

Since you are 7 days post op, you are still pretty swollen.  You have to wait a few months for all of the swelling to subside before determining your final bra size. 

Breast size 7 days after augmentation

+1

Going from 34B or 36A to a 36D is unlikely after 300cc or 350cc implant augmentation. After 7 days, swelling and a high implant position makes proper bra fitting difficult. Give it 2-3 months before buying a properly fitted bra - you will probably end up around a full C cup.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast size after surgery

+1

You are more than likely still very swollen from surgery, so I would be patient before buying bras.  You will more than likely get a bit smaller.