Need Help on How Big to Go if I'm Getting BA & Minimal Lift?(Pix Included)

So i'm 34/36 b cup, I wanna go up to a full D cup/maybe a small DD. I wanna get at least 475cc', but some of the nurses who work there were telling me that since i'm getting a lift as well, they think it's better to go with 425-450cc's better, because they feel 475cc's will probably tear my stitches, due to my breast being too heavy. What do you guys suggest?

Implant Selection Process

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.  You may achieve a nice result with a dual plane approach and avoid the breast lift all together.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Choosing implant size

+1

Please read my previous posts on this subject as they will help you understand that:

1. It is not the nurse's role to help you decide the size, it is the doctor's role.

2. The 475 you might like in some photo will not look the same on you as all patients are different, so if you like a look in a photo, take that to the doctor and see if it can be achieved in you, maybe with an entirely different implant than you had thought.

3. The proper implant for you has the profile to make the upper pole look you want and the base width to fit your breast dimensions well.  Volume (cc's) is the least important factor.

4. You might do perfectly well without  a lift because your nipples are well above the creases and if you did do a lift, only a periareolar would be needed and these incisions don't risk opening because of the implant.  Another reason to listen to your doctor more than the nurse.

5. Make sure your doctor hears you and that you have clearly stated your goals and that you understand from him/her if the expectations are reasonable.  Also, forget cup size, just go for the look you want.

6. Finally, don't worry about the result for 6-8 weeks.  Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Your cup size should not be the factor that determines the implnat size you choose

+1

Cup size varies depending on where you shop for your bras and what type of bra you buy - the most important factor in choosing implant size is your desired look after surgery - this is best detemined by looking at photos of your surgeon's previous work and finding someone who looks like you and has your desired look post-op.  Did you see any of these type photos in your visit with you plastic surgeon.  If not, you might want to see a few more surgeons before you make your decision.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Size of implant

+1

This is a discussion you should be having with the surgeon who is going to operate on you, not with his or her nurse(s).  The size you think you want may not be the optimal size to get the result you want.  The surgeon will have the best idea of the best size based on your desired look and the characteristics of your tissues and chest.  Also, haggling over 25 cc is silly.  It is such a small amount. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Be cautious

+1

Naturally large breasts came with the skin that covers them--yours came smaller.  If you place  prostheses that are too large, based on the width of your breasts, your skin may stretch so that you now have thinned tissues that cannot be repaired. 

Your question cannot be fully answered without an examination.  Based on what you have supplied, however, more than 350 may be too much.  Be very careful. 

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Question on implant size

+1

Although photos can be decieving, I agree that based upon your photos it does not appear that you need a breast lift.  Your nipple is well above the level of the inframammary crease.  Some patients need a lift if they have breast tissue hanging too far below the crease, even if their nipples are at a good level, but it is not obvious that this the case with you either.  And in borderline cases, larger implants, certainly in the size range of what you are considering, will oftentimes fill out this tissue fairly well without the lift.  In borderline cases, I emphasize.

If in fact you and your surgeon decide to proceed with a breast lift at the time of augmentation, then you should give your surgeon the leeway to reduce the size of the implant used if the needed lift results in a too tight closure. Longterm, I do not think that the difference in weight betwee 450cc and 475cc will make much difference, but you should realize that heavier implants in patients with thinner tissue may cause problems with breast tissue thinning and stretching over time for which there is no great solution or correction.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Questions on breast implant size and need for a lift

+1

Your side view does not indicate a need for a lift though the frontal view is more questionable. A physical exam would help decipher this.

Since you want to be fairly large, a high profile implant would be appropriate for you particularly with your specific anatomy. Without an examination or at least knowing your dimensions, i would not definitively state that a 475 cc implant is the appropriate size or not but it may very well be too large.

Whatever you do, the implants in your situation should be placed in a submuscular pocket.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast augmentation and lift

+1

Based upon your photos, you do not need a breast lift.  Implant selection should be based upon your chest wall dimensions, and larger implant sizes either require a wider chest wall or higher profile implants.  To achieve a volume in the 475 cc range, you will likely require high profile implants, which will create a fuller, rounder appearance to the upper breasts.  You may wish to consult with other board-certified plastic surgeons to at least confirm that your surgical plan is appropriate prior to undergoing surgery.

Good luck.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board-certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Breast lift and breast implants

+1

Your photos show that the nipple is not below the inframammary fold so it is unlikely that you need a breast lift. Never having examined you and not knowing important breast dimensions/measurements it is impossible to be say what would be best in your case. However because of long term problems with larger implants I recommended you do not get larger than a full C cup.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast implant size

+1

See all my previous posts on implant size. Your photos do not indicate a need for a lift, especially if you are thinking of going relatively large Each breast has an optimal implant that will give the less unnatural look. You can only determine this with an exam. This ideal implant will produce a certain increase in size that may or may not reconcile with a patient's individual desire. It is then that you and your surgoen will need to determine how to reconcile your desire with the risks of increasing the size of your implant. The size is increased not necessarily by volume, but by width and projection or profile of the implant. Do not fixate on a volume. 

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD