Still Too Big After Breast Reduction

I had a breast reduction two months ago. I wanted to be a C cup but I am a small D. My surgeon said in six months he can re-operate and take more out. He would go back into the incisions. I had a lollipop procedure. He said he could go down a 1/2 cup if he just opens the vertical incision and a full cup if he opens both. What are the risks involved?

Make sure you are not treating the bra size alone

+3

Are your symptoms gone? Your breast appear to have good shape and seem proportionate to your body.  Be careful you are not pursuing a "bra size." Recently a patient had herself measured at one lingerie store and she was told she was a 34 mid C cup. She drove to the next town and, in the same day, was told she was a 32 DD !!

Same patient, same breasts, very different cup sizes. So don't  pay that much attention to a specific letter of the alphabet. Pay more attention to whether your symptoms are relieved, whether the shape is good and remember that further surgery can alter the shape and sensation. Best of luck.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Re-Do

+2

I would agree with your surgeon to wait 6 months after the procedure to remove any further tissue.  At two months the breasts may undergo a bit of change to a decrease in swelling.  The risks of reoperation are the same in my mind and experience as the initial operation.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Still too big after breast reduction

+2

The size desired for a breast reduction is a lengthy discussion I have with patients  before surgery. I explain that an exact size can not be guaranteed as a big C may fit a small D depending on the style and material of the bra. I usually ask what range they would like to be B-C , average C, or C-D and we talk about how it matches their chest size and hips. Your breast in the photo appear to match your body size but if you would like them to be smaller this can be easily accomplished. Talk with your surgeon again to be sure you both understand the same goal. You may want the skin tightened and the breast moved up to give you more fullness on top. It is easier to make you smaller than make you larger again. Good luck.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Revision

+1
I would agree with your surgeon that it is in your best interest to wait at least 6 months prior to considering any additional surgery.
The concern with revisionary breast reduction surgery is related to blood flow to the remaining breast tissue;  is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue is not compromised.   The  part of the tissue that is left in place  after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure)  is cut  then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious competitions such as tissue necrosis etc.

Reduction of Breast Reduction

+1

Two months after a breast reduction surgery is too soon to know your result.  You may find that the breasts will get smaller that the swelling will go down with more time, and that you have achieved what you want.  

Your result is a good one.  Avoid concerns based on cup size as this can vary widely depending upon the style and manufacturer. or your bra.  

Stay in touch with your surgeon, and if after 6 months you feel dissatisfied, then you might consider revision to further reduce your breast reduction.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Breast reduction, AGAIN!

+1

Minor reductions can be achieved with liposuction. However, you have a very nice appearing result and I would advise you to focus on the relief and overall appearance rather than a garment size.

Too big

+1

It is always difficult to be exact with breast size after a reduction.Size will also vary from one bra manufacture  to another.One could easily remove  an ellipse of tissue from just under the 6 o'clock position of  your incision.Also a little lipo could be done as well and the skin tightened so it really is not something that should be too difficult to correct.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast reduction surgery

+1

Occasionally revision may be necessary after breast reduction.  From your photographs, it appears that you still have a fair amount of skin.  I would recommend converting the lollipoop incision to an inverted-T incision to tighten your skin and elevate your breast to a higher position on the chest wall.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Still too big is correctable

+1

Dear Jenny

This peroblem is not unheard of or uncommon.  We don't see a pre-op photo so that does make it a little difficult.  If I have a patient like you who would like to be smaller very often I will do liposuction with some direct excision along the vertical limb.  Discuss the plan with your plastic surgeon so you are both on the same page.  Sometimes to maintain shape we can't be as small as we like without the "boxy flat look."  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Size after Breast Reduction

+1

Any reoperation always involves risks. Your surgeon should advise you if benefit outweighs risk. There is never any guarantee on final cup size after reduction, tissue must be left so the nipple and skin heal properly. From your photo, the size looks satisfactory.

Hayley Brown, MD