Is 550cc Noticeably Larger Than 420cc Saline Implants?

I currently have 420 cc saline implants. I now want to go bigger and my doctor recommends 500 cc high profile silicone implants. I wear 34 c bra now. I am 5'6 110 lbs. I just want to make sure if I go to 500 it will be worth paying the money again. Is it a big difference? How about 550 cc's?

550 is noticably bigger than 420

+2

As a rule of thumb, in order for an implant replacement to be 'worth it' the size change should be at least 100 to 150cc to make a visible difference. My bet would be on the 550cc.

Is 1 cup size increase enough?

+1

Thank you for the question!

If you are a 34 C and have 420 cc implants and you go to 550 cc implants that will be an increase of 130 cc's and would be about 1 cup size larger.  You have to decide if it is worth the cost.  High profile implants do not make much difference, particularly if they are under the muscle because the muscle compresses them.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implant Size for Revisionary Breast Surgery.

+1

I think it would be unwise of you to put too much weight on online consultants' opinions regarding the best breast implant size to achieve your goals.

In my opinion, it would be best for you to have a  detailed discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "worth paying for” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Implant size change

+1

Usually a size change that will make a noticeable difference requires about 100-150 cc's difference. However, with different shaped implants they may look slightly more different especially with more projection or wider shapes.

Estimating Breast Implant Size Increase

+1

Think percentages of volume when changing/increasing breast implant sizes. In going to 500cc from 420cc that is a near 20% size difference. A 550cc change would then be a 30% size difference. In my experience, unless a patient has at least a 30% change, if not more, they will not feel that the size difference is that noticeable. Your better choice is 550cc if you want to notice more than just a subtle change.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast implants

+1

Two things to consider that are important. The first is that you are switching from saline to silicone and it is not a 1 to 1 volume conversion. The second is that you are probably changing profile and base diameter of implants. I would go with the 550cc based on the information you presented.Good luck! Your board certified plastic surgeon can probably show you the different implants.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Implant size increase

+1
High profile implants have narrower width but much more projection so without knowing whether you now have low or moderate profiles, it is difficult to comment because you may be changing both the shape and the size. When keeping the same profile, I agree that the increase,to make an appreciable difference, should be between 100 and 50 cc.

Robert L. Kraft, MD