How Big Will a 350cc Filled to 375cc Look Under the Muscle? (photo)

I am 5'11'' and 150 lbs. I am a 36A and hoping to go to a C cup. I do NOT want the big, fake boob look but I want to balance out my 40'' hips with a natural look. My PS suggested 350cc filled to 375cc in a moderate profile. I read that you should take off 20% for submuscular implants - so at the end of the surgery it would look like 300cc's (20% off 375cc)? I tried 300cc with the rice test - they looked small but hard to judge what a moderate profile diameter/project is. Is moderate plus better?

Breast implant size

+1

The numbers your PS recommended seem reasonable but it is difficult to say for sure without a thorough exam and complete measurements of your breast.  I would need to take into account your breast base diameter, the distance from your sternum to your nipple and the distance from the bottom of the areola  to your inframammary fold to determine the cc amount.  The surgeon might have picked a moderate profile rather than moderate plus due to your base diameter size (by you being a 36 around you would traditionally have a wider base diameter).  

Best Breast Implant Size/Profile for Me?

+1

I would suggest that you do the following:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "huge and fake” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Selecting breast augmentation implant sizes

+1

You are correct that the implant size may be affected by the position above or below your pectoral muscle.  It is important to know how this may also be related to your breast base diameter as well as your general height and weight, shoulder, waist, and hip measurements.  The number of cc's are not equivalent with what size your friend has in her breasts.  Best to have a thorough discussion with your surgeon about all these variables before deciding.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a breast implant

+1

The only want to suggest what implant is best for you, is to have a consultation. During the exam your anatomical nuances can be evaluated and your goals reviewed.

Breast implant sizing

+1
Sizing is a collaborative art form, not a science. Everyone has different perceptions. I would propose the same size implants, and same profile, as did your plastic surgeon but will point out that you are saying two things at once: 1/you don't want the fake, too big look but 2/you thought 300 ccs were too small. All of our methods of estimating preoperatively are just that-estimates--I would disagree that a 375 cc fill will look like a 300 if under the muscle.

Breast Implant Sizing can be a challange

+1

Choosing the size of implant to give you that natural look when disrobed and the curvaceous figure you desire when fully dressed can be a challenge.  Many complex systems exist.  In my practice, I advise prospective patients to use of partially filled plastic bags (usually rice) to mimic the implants.  These are then placed within your bra under your clothing to determine the degree of change that you can expect while fully clothed.  Generally, larger volume implants are required to obtain a curvaceous look while smaller volume augmentations lead to a more natural appearance when disrobed. Over the years, I have found this practical method of "sizing" to be superior to that of theoretic formulas (ie. volume to cup size determinations).

If you looked small while fully clothed using the 300cc rice test, you will likely feel the same same following your augmentation.  Furthermore, progressively larger sizes of implants beyond 300-350cc will more likely render than "fake" look that you are trying to avoid.

While your surgeon can guide you, each prospective patient will have a different threshold for the ideal shape and size.  To avoid disappointment, it is  important to invest your time to find your preferred range of implant sizes before committing to surgery. 

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Implant Sizing

+1

I help my patients select the correct size with two methods:

1. Dimensional planning and
2. A Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.