I Had 4 Bicuspid Extractions, in my Case Will It Prove Detrimental or Helpful? (photo)

I'm 19 years old, with severe crowding and slight protrusion of front teeth.

Extraction of 4 bicuspids for Orthodontic reasons

+1

The extraction of permanent teeth for orthodontic reasons was a very common occurance years ago.  Now days removal of teeth is rare due to all the other modern orthodontic treatments that accomplish the same results without removal ie. arch expansion therapies, etc.  That being said, each case is individual and extractions are still done although far more rarely.  The concerns are that long term narrow arch issues can develop, interfering with breathing and increasing the risk of sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea and it's associated problems.  Care must be taken to keep the arches wide and also to align the teeth for proper occlussion (bite) so as not to cause TMJ (jaw joint) problems.  Have a good discussion with your orthodontist  about these issues and you may find he is right on top of the situation and aware of them.  Definitely proceed with care. Your case must be managed with extreme care to prevent the problems I have mentioned.   Good luck 

Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

4 bicuspid extractions

+1

The 4 bicuspid extractions will simplify the orthodontist's job in relieving your severe crowding. However, from my experience treating patients with TMJ problems, and snoring/sleep apnea problems, many times the cause is a very narrow arch. When you extract bicuspids, your resulting arch will be narrower. It's too late now, but I would have opted for palatal expansion instead, IF POSSIBLE!

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist