Why Do I Have Red Spots on Neck 2 Years After Neck Liposuction? (photo)

I had a neck liposuction about 2 years ago with a regular ( not the new smart lipo machine). After the slewing was gone a dark red-brownish spots remained on my neck - I thought they would go away with time, but - it's been already 2 years and they are still there. I do not get exposed to sun, I work in an office. It looks like a sunburn. Any ideas why this happened and how to treat them?

Brown marks after liposuction

+2

As the other responses have alluded to this may be a form of permanent bruising after liposuction which is uncommon. It may be a reactive process that a laser may help with. The picture helps but really need to see it live. I would rec you seek our a doctor possible dermatologist who has a number of lasers in his or her office. Good Luck!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Red Spots 2 Years After Liposuction?

+1

Assuming that the timing is accurate these may be left over from bruising (i.e., hemosiderin deposits that were not completely absorbed).  Most of the time they go away on their but that appears not to be the case for you.  You may benefit from a consultation with a dermatologist or other physician that has lasers at their disposal.  That seems to be the best way to treat these issues.

Sorry about that,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Red Spots on Neck 2 Years After Neck Liposuction?

+1

These look like neither chronic bruising nor scars from the port incisions. The skin surface looks rather irregular, that is not something I would expect with either of the two possibilities mentioned. 

These may be unrelated to your liposuction, and I think the best bet is an evaluation by a dermatologist.

All the best. 

Blemishes of skin after lipo of neck

+1

The blemishes you are complaining about may be  from hemosiderin deposits that were not cleared by your body during the healing process. This may be amenable to a laser.

Darkish Spots after Liposuction

+1

If these spots are in the areas of a previous bruise, these may be areas of hemosiderin deposition.  These may be lasered to target those specific pigments.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

What Is The Brownish Red Spot On My Neck After Liposuction?

+1

The pigmented spot on your neck is more than likely hemosiderin staining secondary to post liposuction bruising or it is a cluster of blood vessels in your skin secondary to aggressive liposuction. 

A consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon will give you the answer as to which one of the two above it is.  If it is hemociderin staining, the treatment, in my experience, is a bleaching cream containing kojic acid.  If it is a small collection of blood vessels, the treatment would be cutaneous lasering of the skin. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Red spots after liposuctiion

+1

Your picture isn't great , but combined with your "sunburn" description I think you have some increased vascularity in your skin as a result of your liposuction.  See a Board Certified Dermatologist about laser treatments, specifically the V-beam laser used for this problem which can also arise from sun damage.  A treatment or two and it will be gone I bet.  Make sure you ask if they have that laser.  I don't know where BH is in California , but I can recommend Dr. William Groff in La Jolla because he treated my neck which was far, far worse and is now normal.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Red-Brown spots on Skin 2 Years After Liposuction

+1

It is not common to have skin color changes after liposuction. Without an actual examination, it is hard to give an answer but it may be due to "staining" from the bruising after surgery. Check with your surgeon who can give a better assessment.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS