What Can VY Advancement In Rhinoplasty Achieve?

What can vy advancement in rhinoplasty achieve? I don't understand what this technique corrects in terms of fixing nostrils?

V y advancement

+1

The only time I have used a v y advancement is  for a reconstructive purpose, but, as Dr. Wallachian points out, it can be used to lengthen a short columella. I have never used it for a cosmetic rhinoplasty. It would be interesting to see photos to determine if it might be applicable to your case, although I doubt it.

VY advancement for rhinoplasty

+1

A V-to-Y advancement is a way to provide mroe length in whatever needs length. It is often used in reconstructive procedures, and has been described to lengthen the columella for a short nose.

V to Y advancement for cleft lip rhinoplasty

+1

The V to Y procedure is used to lengthen the columella when tight or deficient and the common application is in the repair of the nose affected by a cleft lip deformity. Application to cosmetic rhinoplasty is quite uncommon.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

+1

V-Y advancement is typically used to lengthen tissue. This is usually utilized to lengthen the fleshy tissue between the nostrils (columella) or to reposition the alar base (where nostril is inserted into the cheek). It is rarely used in either location but can be very effective in properly selected patients. For a specific recommendation, you would need to post a few photos to give me an idea of what is trying to be achieved with your surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

VY Advancement Flap is Seldom Used in Open Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi RB,

At State of the Art in Facial Aesthetics 2013 this weekend in Atlanta we discussed the use of the VY Advancement flap in rhinoplasty.  It is used in the very rare occasion when a short nose is lengthened. If the columellar skin will not close properly after lengthening then the VY flap is used to close the incision.  I have not used this flap in rhinoplasty in my 25 year experience.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

V-Y technique and Nostril Asymmetry

+1

This technique in combination with a host of other techniques can be useful in cleft nose revisions and in some skin deficient states around the nostril.  You are basically recruiting and advancing tissue to create more length in more one direction and reducing width in another.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

V-Y Advancement in Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

I need to see pictures or at least a description of the problem you want to correct. Other than reconstructive surgery for a deformed nose, over the past 35 years I've not had to use this technique in rhinoplasty surgery. It might be used to lengthen the columella which is the structure between your nostrils at the base of your nose.This is accomplished by making a "V" incision, advancing the skin and then closing the wound in the shape of a "Y".