Best Way to Remove Dark Slightly Raised Moles (Possibly Dark Freckles)? (photo)

Not sure what to considered these: dark freckles or moles... Some are very slightly raised and a few are not, but they are very dark. What, if any, is the best way to remove them? Would a laser remove them? I have done erbium and ipl laser before and havent noticed a difference.. I have used hydroquinone and retina-A also, but just want them gone altogether. What are my options? Thank you

Best way to remove dark slightly raised moles

+3

A shave excision is typically the easiest, most cost effective, and least likely to scar method of removal. With this method the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. Another method, an excision with suture closure, is sometimes used for deeper moles. From your description and the appearance of the moles on the photograph it appears that a shave removal would be the best way to go. Dermatologic surgeons, not plastic surgeons, typically do both procedures expertly and can decide which would be best for your particular mole. Regarding using a laser to remove moles, I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser to remove a mole. Likewise, hydroquinone and Retin-A, in my experience, rarely lighten a mole enough to be considered effective.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal

+2

If the lesion is raised, then a shave excision can be done.  If flat, then a complete surgical excision of the lesion can be done.  Either way, a scar will result.  And either way, it should be sent to pathology prior to doing any laser procedure on the area.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Dark bumpy moles do well being excised and the edges dermabraded.

+2

Excision will be your best choice and so easy under local for roughly $250-350 per mole. Follow them up with a little dermabrasion to blend the minimal scar and they will look very nice in the end. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon