Can you break your nose without it hurting? I had nose trauma and I've had a deviated septum ever since. Can this be fixed?

I've had some trauma to my nose. It never hurt. Never bled. The trauma was when I was 16, so my nose was fully grown. My nose did not change shape. however immediately afterwards ive noticed trouble breathing thru my right nostril. its been a year. will this EVER go away or do i need surgery? and how did my septum get deviated without it hurting? is this easy to fix?

Nose trauma without bleeding

+1
Popoppy20,

It is possible that you fractured your septum without bleeding occurring. Your difficulty in breathing from your right nostril may have been caused by a slight deviation within your nose caused by the trauma that may not be noticeable on the outside. I recommend making a consultation to get it checked out and discuss your options to fix the problem.

Best of Luck,
Dr. Ali Sajjadian

Breathing problem persists one year after nasal trauma--yes, it can be fixed.

+1
Your nasal trauma could have caused cartilage to fracture and deviate, but without mucosal tear causing bleeding. In fact, subperichondrial bleeding can cause abnormal cartilage thickening and growth (like cauliflower ear in wrestlers), or other anatomic issues. Nasal pain need not accompany injuries severe enough to cause breathing problems or airway issues, though it is somewhat unusual. Maybe you're just tough, or at least tougher than your nasal septal cartilage!

After a year, this damage is not going to "go away" on its own. You need a plastic surgical or ENT expert in rhinoplasty to examine your internal nasal anatomy and recommend ways to improve or restore your airway.

If you are not interested in cosmetic changes to your nose, this is considered functional or reconstructive surgery to restore or improve function, and is generally covered by your (or your parents') insurance. Make an appointment with a qualified expert in rhinoplasty surgery and ask your parents about their insurance requirements first. You will need their consent anyway for surgery to proceed (until you are 18). Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Nasal obstruction after trauma

+1
Cartilage can shift inside the nose without bleeding or bruising. Since you can't breathe from one side of your nose you should have an evaluation by a Board certified otolaryngologist. Facial plastic surgeons have double board certification so that will be fine. Once you are evaluated they should be able to tell you how to improve your breathing.

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Surgery

+1
Hi P,
Sorry you are having trouble breathing.  If you hit your nose and get bleeding, then by definition, you have a broken nose.  But it is not the other way around, like in your case.  You probably displaced some internal cartilage and bone.  However the humidifiers can block airflow also.  So have a nasal surgery specialist see you for a look see.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+1
An exam is needed to determine treatment needed.  Most likely, you are a candidate for a septoplasty to correct the deviated septum.  You can have trama to the nose without any bleeding.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Deviated septum after nose trauma

+1
Dear popoppy20,

• I answered your other question as well
  • You can fracture the septum without breaking your nose, and it can cause a deviated septum
  • If it has been over a year, it will likely not go away
  • You should have an exam and get checked out
  • Then all of your questions can be answered
  • And bring your insurance card (if you have one) as this procedure is usually covered by insurance

Best regards,
Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Trauma

+1
It is possible, you will need to be evaluated by experienced nose surgeon and probable a CT scan, for answering your question we need to know the exact diagnosis, but yes you can have your septum deviated or any bone part fractured without hurting.

Luis Redondo, MD