How Can I Get Better Hair Removal Results?

I saw awesome results after I switched to Diode Laser hair removal from IPL. However, I saw that the hair is only reduced and not gone completely, it got thinner and finer, and it appears lighter than it was (originaly it was longer, darker, and thicker). Is this a common result from Diode Laser hair removal? Should I go back to IPL hair removal, or should I try other lasers?

Make diode laser hair removal work better

+2

Make sure that you are not waxing or plucking the hairs in between the sessions.

Make sure the area is shaved, so there are no long strands of hair that can get singed, and force the operator to reduce the energy.

Make sure you are not tan, and even consider lightening the skin with a skin lightening agent; this makes the hair more obvious to the laser light.

Chicago Dermatologist

IPL vs. Laser Hair Removal

+1

Hi Hope,

Please, please, stick with the Diode Laser! IPL is not an effective or permanent form of laser hair removal because by definition -- it's not a laser. Your experience is typical and we would suggest continuing with laser hair removal. Our typical Lumenis Lightsheer patient achieves 80% - 95% permanent hair removal after approximately 6 treatments.

As you have mentioned the hair does thin out over time with the darkest coarsest hairs disappearing first and the finer lighter hairs being more difficult to remove. You are on the right track and keep doing what you are doing until the % of hair removal is acceptable to you. The diode is the most widely used laser hair removal laser in the world so stick with it. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD