Better to Have an Asian Surgeon for Asian Rhinoplasty or Blepharoplasty?

Would an Asian plastic surgeon be somehow better suited to perform a blepharoplasty or a rhinoplasty on an Asian patient?

Choosing the Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon for Asian Rhinoplasty

+2

There are two key things that any prospective rhinoplasty patient should look for in their surgeon. First, your surgeon should be someone who specializes in rhinoplasty and devotes a significant part, if not all, of their practice to nasal surgery. Look for a surgeon who has experience in Ethnic Rhinoplasty. Most surgeons have examples of their before and after rhinoplasty photos available on their website or in their office. Secondly, you should choose a surgeon who you feel comfortable with and who understands your goals and desires for surgery.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best surgeons for Asian blepharoplasty and Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Being Asian does not qualify a surgeon as the best surgeon to perform Asian blepharoplasty and/or Asian rhinoplasty. The best plastic surgeon to do these procedures is one who understands the differences in Asian anatomy, understands your goals and expectations, and has the knowledge and skills to safely deliver the results you desire.

The Asian eyelid is distinctly different anatomically than the Causasian eyelid, and not all surgeons are comfortable operating on the Asian eyelid. The Asian rhinoplasty patient often has different concerns than the Caucasian rhinoplasty patient, and the surgeon needs to understand there are differences. Do you have to be Asian to understand? No. Does it help? Maybe, depending on the patient and the surgeon. Ultimately you need to feel comfortable communicating with your surgeon.

Anita Patel, MD

Race of your surgeon is not as important as experience, understanding Asian beauty, and technical precision

+1

As an Asian plastic surgeon who performs high volume Asian eyelid surgery and nose surgery, it is not my race that will determine the best outcome for your eyes or nose. It does happen coincidentally, that I know many Asian plastic surgeons in Asia, particularly in Korea-- whom I consider some of the best Asian eyelid and nose surgeons in the world. One look at the Asian Star magazines, movies and television shows can tell you just how excellent these surgeons are. I have been fortunate to work with them and to learn some of them these outstanding, advanced techniques.

In the US, I have seen the work of Asian and non-Asian plastic surgeons, and I have seen some good work from both, but I have seen some terrible results as well. These results are often due to a misunderstanding of "Asian beauty," and what constitutes a natural and beautiful crease for the eyelid. The same goes for the nose. Not all surgeons have the same amount of technical precision to perform delicate surgery around the eyes and nose. I recommend that you find someone who has significant experience in this area and can deliver excellent outcomes in a safe manner.

Charles K. Lee, MD

Asian Plastic Surgeons your best options for Asian Rhinoplasties and Blepharoplasties

+1

Asian Plastic Surgeons are of course your best option if you are in search of someone to perform an Asian rhinoplasty ( nose job ) or blepharoplasty ( eyelid surgery ). As the saying goes...Practice Makes Perfect. As an Asian Plastic Surgeon, not only do Asian patients usually seek me out because I am an expert in the field, but they seek me out because I am Asian.

Because of this simple fact, I not only have an interest in the field because of my own ethnicity, but I retain my expertise because I do the procedures much more often than my peers.

Phillip Chang, MD
Leesburg Plastic Surgeon

Race doesn't necessarily matter

+1

You want someone that understands the Asian patient and the nuances that this patient presents. Knowledge of what Asian patients desire and the ability to communicate with them is the challenge. Many Asian patients today desire to maintain their ethnicity with Asian Blepharoplasty. This should mean something to the Surgeon doing the procedure and how to do this surgically is very important.

I see many Asian patients that go to Asia to get plastic surgery and they at times come back disappointed. Hence going to an Asian doctor is not necessarily a cure all. You have to go to a doctor that has the repertoire of skills that can treat all conditions that Asians present. Some questions that will need to be answered when discussing Asian blepharoplasty include how high they want the fold, whether the fold should be inside or outside the epicanthus, whether the fold laterally should be parallel or ride higher, whether the epicanthal fold will be dealt with, etc.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

You need to trust your doctor

+1

The most important thing to decide is whether the doctor you see is one you trust and has the experience and skill to do what you are hoping for given the constraints your face places on the result.  Whether they are asian or not should be the least important factor.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

May be not

+1

The qualification of the surgeon is more important than the race. Find a surgeon that is qualified( board certified plastic surgeon ), check his admitting previlage and ask to see before and after pictures. Patient referral is a good idea as well. You may find a surgeon that is qualified and you fell comfortable without limiting your self to specific race.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

You dont need an asian surgeon

+1

I'm not convinced that an asian surgeon is better suited to perform asian eyelid or rhinoplasty surgery. (Of course, I'm not asian but...)

The person best suited to perform asian eyelid surgery may be an oculoplastic surgeon (eyelid surgery specialist) and/or someone who primarily does eyelid surgery and has alot of experience with all kinds of eyelid surgery, including asians.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon