Best Treatment for Shallow Nasolabial Wrinkles?

Hello and thanks in advance for any ideas and advice. I have shallow nasolabial wrinkles, more like a slight indentation which leaves a shadow and makes me look old and tired. What could work for me? I am 44 years old, pale skin. I have used IPL, Titan, and Botox on my forehead with great results. I am curious about fillers? Is it okay for slight indentation?? Everything I read about says deep folds.

For treating shallow naso-labial folds, I prefer Juvederm (hyaluonic acid)

+2

Hockeymom4:

It seems that you been very diligent about keeping up with your aging process as you have used IPL, Titan, and Botox in the past. You deserve kudos for recognizing the advantages of good skin care. As we age, our skin changes. The thickness and volume of youthful skin begins to diminish, as seen by the formation of wrinkles and folds. The nasolabial folds are often times the first lines that are seen around the mouth and can be quite annoying and bothersome.

What is the best treatment? For smoothing the areas of the nasolabial folds that are slight to moderate in degree, my first choice is to use a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm®. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring carbohydrate found in human skin. Its action is to rehydrate and add volume to the skin and contour the “indentation”. I prefer Juvéderm® because it provides a smooth, natural look and feel. I have found that patients with similar complaints …love it. The good news is that this usually lasts a year.

To be even more specific, Juvéderm® is available in two formulations to allow the treating physician the ability to individualize and tailor the treatment to one’s needs. Juvéderm® Ultra is very effective for correcting the superficial lines similar to those that you described by contouring and volumizing the facial folds. This is what I would use to treat your “indentation”. Juvéderm® Ultra Plus is used more for volumizing and correcting deeper folds and wrinkles (which you do not need at the present time).

In summary, a hyaluonic acid filler is the way to go. I would recommend that you discuss with your treating physician Juvederm® Ultra as an option.

I hope you find this helpful.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

If they make you look old and tired then you need the fillers and I mean NOW!

+2

Filling the nasolabial areas is such a common procedure now with so many patients. It really makes a person look better and more youthful. You definitely should get them filled in. Radiesse is a little more expensive but lasts longer (about a year) and costs about $850 a syringe. Most people need at least 1 syringe (2-3 syringes if they are really deep). The most common problem people have with fillers is that they don't get enough put in to make a difference. Your doc will advise you on the most appropriate amount needed for the result you want but nobody gets less than at least 1 syringe in the nasolabials and sees a difference. There are cheaper fillers that do a good job but sure don't last as long: restylane 6 months $550/syr or juvederm 8-9 month $550/syr. or Cosmoplast/derm 3 month $450/syr.

Sincerely,

David Hansen, MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers are best for this

+2

For shallow nasolabial folds, you could start with a syringe of Restylane (0.4cc), which is a small amount and is a great way to start if you are concerned about being overfilled. It will also offer the lowest cost. The other things you have mentioned (IPL, Titan, Botox) are not good for this problem. Juvederm Ultra is also an option, offering twice as much product, but at a higher cost. Take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Treatment for shallow nasolabial folds

+1
Hard to comment on your particular case without photos.  If it is truly a nasolabial fold issue, the best approach is usually a direct approach.  Injectables can be very effective in this area. They fill in the contour. Please see an experienced and well trained injector.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

I had shallow folds when I was a child

+1

I start every consultation with a patient by saying that we have all had a small depression in the area of the nasolabial folds since we were children. Look back at the photos to confirm that I am correct. However, there is no doubt that softening these depressions makes us look and feel better. For shallow depressions without any wrinkling of the skin, I prefer radiesse. Why? You can inject it deeply so it won't show at all during animation. It lasts longer than most other fillers. It is not as good as fat injections but for a small volume, like the kind you are describing, the fat injection technique may be a bit much. Good luck.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Fillers are great.

+1

For moderately prominent nasolabial folds, there are several products which can help. This includes juvederm, restylane, perlane, and radiess.  Autologus fat injections are also good.