What is the Best Treatment for Boxcar Scars?

I have old pitted acne scars on my cheeks. I've used Merderma, Microdermabrasion and had Chemical peels but the scars are still there. From what I've read, I think they may be boxcar scars. What do you suggest is the best treatment?

Treating boxcar scars

+1

I use a surgical method. Subcision means to release the fibers holding the epidermis down. That usually requires a little bit of local anesthesia. You do want to have the acne under control first.

Silver Spring Dermatologist

Boxcar scars

+1

I would consider a series of saline subcision treatments (involving the use of a fine needle and saline/anesthetic to break up the collagen that is tethering the skin down to produce the depression) to the individual scars. The only side effect I have seen with this approach is a variable degree of bruising which always resolves within 7-10 days.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist