Blue Peel or Laser Resurfacing for Mild Hyperpigmentation?

What is the best treatment for acne scars with mild hyperpigmentation? Will I benefit more from Blue Peel or from laser resurfacing? I've had microdermabrasion with Glycolic Acid Peel but the effect wasn't drastic.

Blue Peel and Laser effective for hyperpigmentation correction

+1

Actually, both the Blue Peel and the appropriate laser treatments will offer you good improvement in mild hyperpigmentation.

The Blue Peel will provide great results for hyperpigmentation, and is definitely one of the treatments of choice for darker pigmentation or melasma, but it may not be necessary to undergo a deep peel for mild, superficial hyperpigmentation such as “sun spots”.

For mild hyperpigmentation, I would recommend a protocol using the Obagi NuDerm System or Obagi Condition and Enhance System, coupled with a series of lighter peels, such as the SkinMedica Vitalize and Rejuvenize Peels, or light Obagi Blue Peels.

Another great option for hyperpigmentation would be a series of IPL treatments, which some may prefer because it has little to no social downtime compared with chemical peel treatments.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Peel or Laser for Acne Scars

+1

The challenge with your question is that the best treatment for textured acne scars is different than the best treatment for pigmented acne scars (hyperpigmentation).

For pigmented acne scars consider:

• Depigmentation programs including hydroquinone
  • Q-stitched lasers
  • Chemical Peels

For Textured Acne Scars consider:

• CO2 Laser Resurfacing
  • Erbium Laser Resurfacing
  • Fractional Laser Resurfacing
  • Punch Excision
  • Subcision
  • Dermabrasion

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Lasers are much better for acne scarring

+1

I agree that mild discoloration can be treated with TCA, Blue Peel, or even hydroquinone alone. However, acne scarring can only really be improved with laser skin resurfacing.

Sirish Maddali, MD

I'd be conservative

+1

Mild discoloration does usually respond well to 25%TCA. Laser resurfacing would be too aggressive for such a minimal problem. Blue peel is just a proprietary TCA peel of lesser concentration that is usually applied by allied health personel who are unfamiliar with TCA and need the blue color indicator to understand the depth of penetration and response effects.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist