Best Placement for Silicone Breast Implant?

I am having a procedure done this summer to remove some large (but benign) fibrous masses from my left breast. I am 18, but considering the size of one of the fibroids, whether my breast tissue re-generates or not there will be noticable disfigurement (that I've read can be fixed through augmentation).

With this said, since I will only consider silicone implants and I have a somewhat athletic build, where is it best to place the implants? Subglandular? Sub-pectorial? or completely under the muscle? (round, smooth, high profile, from a full C to a DD...)

Silicone implants and age

+1

Silicone implants are a good idea if you are thin, but remember that you can't get this implant until you turn 22. There are exceptions to this rule for example if you have a breast deformity for surgery etc. I recommend that silicone implants be placed under the muscle as the muscle will message the implants and keep them from forming a thick capsule.

Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Everyone is different

+1

It really depends upon the shape and size of your breasts now and the size of what is probably a fibroadenoma (benign breast mass seen in younger women). You best way to find out what will work for you is to schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon and see what your options are. Use of silicone implants in women less that 22 years old is considered off label treatment (outside the recommended use of the FDA) and although it is the perogative of your plastic surgeon, especially in a reconstructive case, the plastic surgeon you see can give you their opinion. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Silicone Implants and Age Requirement

+1

The FDA mandates that you be 22 years of age or older to be a candidate for silicone breast implants.

Unfortunately you are not a candidate given your age, so the only option at this point for you is saline implants.

Farbod Esmailian, MD