What's Best for Permanent Lip Augmentation?

In six months, I've spent $2400 on hyaluronic acid fillers. It seems it is only lasting 2 months. At the cost of $2400 in 6 months on fillers, makes more sense to think about what Dr. David Hansen wrote: "permanent implants, of which there are a few types, do great and look natural. Cost about $1500-2000 per lip". Recommendations for best permanent procedure for lips with minimal known problems.

Stay away from lip implants!!!

+3

Lip implants will never look natural with animation(movement) and will rarely look natural at rest.  There is a long and horrific list of complications that women with artificial implants experience over a lifetime that you do not want to subject yourself to.  I consistently get excellent long term results with a very careful method of fat harvest handling and transfer the micrografting fat.  I do not find the need to repeat multiple procedures.  I also commonly use Juvederm ultra plus XC and have many patients who are happy for over a year with its effects, remember all HA fillers are not equal.  I like Juvederm Ultra plus the best for lips.  If you look carefully you will find very few if any plastic surgeons offering lip implants.  This is because we a re the practitioners that see these patients after practitioners outside our field place them.  I just glanced below and there are several plastic surgeons with similar sentiment.  DO NOT destroy your face with anything permanent! Micro fat grafts are the only safe permanent filler!

I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Fillers of lips

+3

Permanent implants are not the best. They can have many problems. Fat may be more permanent but will require multiple treatments to get the result you want.

Lip Implants tend to do well with the new types available.

+2

For permanent lip augmentations I like the lip implants much better than fat injections which make you look like donald duck for a month and last about 6 months before they start to get bumpy. I don't like silicone or artefill for the lips since they look great for 2-3 yrs then can get granulomas which make the lips look bumpy and irregular. Lip implants are easy to put in and easy to remove; not like silicone or other permanent fillers.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Your own fat is the best for permanent lip augmentation.

+2

Fat grafting uses your own fat, usually transferred from your abdomen to your lips. It is usually the next step for patients who are happy with the look of fillers and wish for permanent results.

I do not recommend lip implants, as they are not very comfortable and move around in the pocket holding them in place.  When this happens, surgery is necessary to repair the pocket.

Many Options for Permanent Lip Augmentation

+1

There are a number of different products that can be used for lip augmentation, from your own fat to soft silicone, saline, or goretex implants.  A person's own fat works very well and is natural, but may require multiple treatments and feel lumpy if not I jectex smoothly.  A soft silicone implant is a one time procedure with a uniform result , but is a foreign material that you may feel through the lip.  Both do a good job, but it really depends on what will be the best for you.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

PermaLip Implant for Permanent Lip Augmentation

+1
PermaLip implants are composed of silicone, a material that mimics the natural tissue of the lips.  It is soft enough to create a realistic texture, yet semi-solid to ensure the lips retain their shape. PermaLip is not only effective; it has also proven safe through extensive testing. Available in an array of lengths and widths to best suit each patient, PermaLip is ideal for interested candidates of all ages. PermaLip is easily removed if the patient opts to receive a smaller or larger implant.  Unlike lip injections of fillers that require maintenance, PermaLip implants create a long-term lip augmentation. Maintaining the enhancements to your lips is very easy. A permanent lip augmentation is less costly over time than the upkeep of injectable fillers. With the variety of cosmetic surgery options available, Shapiro Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is pleased to provide valuable information to help educate you about the possibilities of cosmetic surgery.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Options for permanent lip enhancement

+1

Silicone lip implants are a good long term option for lip enhancement. They won't go away.  But they can make your lips feel different and some people can get used to that and some have a little more difficulty.  Fat injections are another option as well as the YoungVolumizer procedure. But fat injections have a little more recovery and are not permanent but can last for years, like 10-15 years with gradual dissipation. Here is a video on silicone lip augmentation that you can watch to learn more about this procedure:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Put fat in it!

+1

I would recommend fat injection for lip augmentation.  I do it by the Coleman microinfiltration technique.  I quote my patients a 50% take rate with a possibility of repeat injections.  In actuality, I get a much higher take rate and very few repeat injections.  This can be done in the office and is permanent.  That means less $ over time to lay out.  My patients have been very pleased with this procedure.

Jennifer Keagle, MD

Options for Lip Enlargement

+1

There are several options for long term lip enlargement.  That includes various lip implants, fat grafting, or long term injectables, like Artefill or Silicone. Each of these options has its own benefits and shortcomings.  It is important to remember that each of these options may be very difficult to reverse.  Also, there are changes in the lip shape and volume associated with natual ageing of the face.  It is very important to consider all the facts prior to proceeding with one specific procedure.  Speak to your plastic surgeon and seek his or her input.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon