Best Liposuction to Get for Belly Fat?

What is the best form of lipo if you have just an area below belly buttom that is a fat pocket problem. Do it hurt? How long to recover?

Which form of Liposuction is best....

+3

Hi there-

Liposuction Devices and Techniques... Is one really better than another?

Tumescent liposuction... VASER lipo..... SmartLipo.....Cool lipo... pro lipo....Slim lipo... Body Jet lipo.... ?????

What does this all mean? If I don't get Smart lipo does that mean I'm dumb? If my surgeon recommends Slim lipo does that mean he/she isn't a "Pro"?

It truly is a ridiculous situation we have come to with regard to liposuction and the number of people trying to cash in on America's desire to be rid of its collective fat. It can be very confusing- and confusion puts patients at risk.

Here's my best effort to educate you- so that you can be your own best advocate:

In well motivated patients, body contour improvement can be a very healthy endeavor, but how is an otherwise intelligent and well-adjusted person to know the difference between a responsible provider of aesthetic services offering them safe options for help with their body contour and a poorly trained and inexperienced provider more interested in their wallet than in their outcome and safety?

It is first important to realize that all of these devices will require you to undergo a liposuction procedure. The only difference is the approach to the treatment of the fat prior to its removal.

Because they all involve liposuction, and this is in fact a surgical procedure, it is very important that you "do your homework" and find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who has the years of training in liposuction necessary to give you the safe experience and superior outcome you deserve and desire.

Behind the amazing number of machines now available to remove your fat, there has followed an army of their sales representatives and an equally impressive number of providers marketing themselves as "liposuction experts".

What has made them "liposuction experts"? In almost all cases, a few days or weekends training with the salesman for the device or with someone more experienced in the procedure.

It is their promise that if you have the device in their possession brought to bear on your behalf, your fat will be gone, your skin will miraculously shrink away, you won't need any anesthesia because the device allows painless removal of the fat, and it can be done on your lunch hour. The only thing I am surprised by at this point is that they don't promise you'll get rich and be more sexually alluring after the procedure too.

Selling the particular device to patients is not unlike someone saying to you that because they will give you access to Tony Stewart's racing car that you will be able to win this weekend's race and make a million dollars. Tony Stewart wins races because he is a great racing car driver AND he has a great car....This is no different...

Getting the best outcome from a body contouring procedure depends most on finding a well-qualified and experienced surgeon, and much less on the device used.

Most of these people are so aggressive in their marketing of these questionable devices because they are, in fact, not trained plastic surgeons but rather are either not physicians at all, or they are doctors with core training which would not have prepared them to do liposuction.

Many have read recently about a death in my home state of Florida after a healthy 40ish year old mother had liposuction performed be a rehabilitation medicine doctor. Amazingly, I know of eye doctors (!!) doing liposuction as well- and yes, they market themselves as "liposuction experts".

The particular device used can affect the overall experience, however.

Despite the claims of the manufacturer and the practitioners who plunked down the large sum the device costs, Smartlipo has never been proven to shrink skin better than tumescent liposuction.

SmartLipo, SlimLipo, Prolipo, and Coolipo all use a laser to destroy the fat cells, allowing them to be removed by liposuction. My problem with these is that, first of all, as a scientist and doctor I am offended when false claims of benefit are made, and that because the lasers will burn whatever you point them at, I worry that your nerves, blood vessels, muscles, and skin may be injured by the laser.

In fact, I see at least one patient every month with severe contour deformities and injuries after being treated with one of these devices by a local "liposuction expert".

Bottom line (and in my opinion)- there is no benefit to these devices, they are expensive (meaning that the cost to you, the patient, will be higher as well), and the risks are higher.

Tumescent liposuction is the gold standard to which all other techniques must be compared. It has been proven to be safe and effective over many years (provided that it is performed by a well-trained surgeon). It involves the injection of a fluid into the fatty tissue layer that causes blood vessels to shrink and the fat to expand, making it easier to remove and lowering the risk of a complication.

VASER lipo involves an additional step, in which the fat (after injection of fluid but before suction is applied) is treated with ultrasound energy. Unlike the laser filaments used in SmartLipo and the other devices mentioned above, the VASER probe is blunt and the ultrasound energy it uses is much more specific for fat, so that the risk of injury to the blood vessels and nerves, as well as the muscles and skin are much lower. This is seen in the patient experience of reduced swelling and bruising.

Each time a new (revolutionary!) liposuction machine comes out, I think the most important questions to ask are not "Does it work?", but rather, "Does it work better than what is already available, is it less expensive (not more), and is it safer than what is already available?"

The VASER (in my opinion) passes this test, while the laser based devices do not.

Having said all of that, I would emphasize that it is the education, training, experience, and skill of the surgeon at the end of the liposuction device that will make the greatest difference in your outcome and safety.

There is no substitute for the years of training Board Certified Plastic Surgeons receive in liposuction, directly supervised by other Board Certified Plastic Surgeons.

A well trained and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be more than capable of achieving a better outcome through tumescent liposuction than any eye doctor with a Body Jet.

As in the analogy of Tony Stewart above- a great professional with a great tool (like the VASER) would only make those results and their safety even greater.

Please know that I have no financial relationship with any of these companies and have personally tried each of the discussed technologies myself on patients.

Best Liposuction Tecnique for Belly Fat Removal

+2

Removal of fat below the belly button is one of the most common areas successfully treated with liposuction. Do not pick the technique, but rather the surgeon. An excellent result can be achieved by different surgeons using different techniques.

Surgeon over the approach

+1

The choice you should focus on is to choose an experienced and expert surgeon who understands your objectives. From this starting point, the surgeon can recommend the approach that will most appropriate for you. Recovery will be linked to the scope of the surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Liposuction of Abdomen?

+1

If the adipose issue you are concerned about is located just below the skin then liposuction surgery will potentially help you.  Liposuction surgery candidates present with diet and exercise resistant adipose issue in the subcutaneous plane ( just below the skin). Good candidates for the procedure will also demonstrate adequate skin elasticity overlying the area to be treated.

I would suggest in-person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Liposuction of the abdomen

+1

Really almost any technique can achieve good results for abdominal fat contouring.  FInd a surgeon that has good results, good referrals, pleasant office, available staff, etc.

Abdominal liposuction

+1

You have asked what is the best form of lipo?

Today doctors have many tools at there disposal to perform liposuction. You may have heard some of these marketing phrases Vaser, Smart Lipo, Laser Lipo, UAL. Most work well and will give you a good result. The true key to an excellent result is not so much the tool but the doctor using the tool.

Although abdominal liposuction may seem like a simple procedure, if done by an inexperienced doctor, the results may not be what was expected. Liposuction is a skill that is developed after years of training. Be sure to choose a board certified surgeon to perform your surgery.

Robert Vitolo, MD

Lipo

+1

There is no one best method of liposuction to deal with the fat you describe. Different plastic surgeons will have different recommendations. If it is a very small collection then you can probably have it done under local. If larger collection, then you should discuss with your plastic surgeon. Personally, I prefer the Vaser. You'd be smart to consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon in your area. Find one at www.plasticsurgery.org.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD