Best Lasik Technique to Minimize Side Effects?

I read that lasik side effect can incl night vision reduction and halos. Obvuisly want to avoid these. whats the best lasik technique, newest technology that avoids these?

Best LASIK technique

+1

I have been perfroming LASIK for 16 years, and had laser vision correction myself(PRK) in 1994. So, I know these procedures and techniques both personally and professionally. In my opinion, the best and safest LASIK technique is All Laser Lasik using the Intralase laser(to make the corneal flap) and then either the Wavelight Allegretto laser(my choice) or the Visx Customvue laser to correct the refractive error.

The key to the current technology is to measure the unique individual irregularities on your cornea(we call them aberrations) and, once measured, download the information into the corrective laser so we can achieve the smoothest possible result. The two lasers I mentioned above do this very well. A decade ago, there were no lasers that treated individual variations, so each treatment was rather generic. Thus, many patients, including myself, have subtle symptoms of glare in low light. Current patients, using the latest technology, have far fewer issues with glare and halo.

So, get a great surgeon, a great preoperative evauation, follow the postoperative instructions and prepare to be wowed!

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Minimizing night vision and other problems in LASIK

+1

First it is important that you are a good candidate for LASIK, that accurate measurements are taken to do the correct treatment for your particular case. Second it is also equally important that the best technology is used to avoid these problems.

It is a bad idea to go to a center using older technology, even if it is at a lower price because some of the problems of night vision, halos, etc are more likely in my opinion by being treated on these technologies. Once something is FDA approved, it remains so virtually indefinitely, and it is important to seek out the best treatment possible.

The newest way of having LASIK is to both have a laser created flap by Intralase or by VisuMax which minimizes side effects caused by the flap itself. Even more important is the laser that does the actual correction. The newest lasers use scanning spot technology with a prolate wavefront optimized profile. This includes both the Alcon Wavelight and the Zeiss Mel 80 lasers which give excellent clinical outcomes and high degrees of patient satisfaction.

If you are concerned about minimizing side effects, do your research on both the doctor and the equipment that he or she uses for LASIK or PRK vision correction.

Denver Ophthalmologist

Minimizing Lasik side effects

+1

The latest technology is custom wavefront guided treatments. This is where a computer measures every imperfection in the focusing ability of your eye, and then corrects for it on your cornea. This is the preferred procedure for military fighter pilots and only allowable procedure for NASA astronauts. This often improves night vision and gives patients the best possible treatment. The Navy has done most of their studies with (and prefers) the VISX laser, but there are others available.

Be careful of laser centers claiming to have similar technology. Only custom wavefront guided treatments can address these issues. You also want to ensure that you surgery center is using a laser to create your flap and not a traditional blade.

Austin Ophthalmologist