Best Laser Wavelength for Stretch Mark Removal?

What type of laser works to remove stretch marks? I heard that the excimer laser was the best but as far as I know, nobody in my area can provide that.

Stretch marks are scars within the dermis

+3

I agree with what has been said. Stretch marks can only be removed by excision (like a tummy tuck), because the stretch marks represent scar within the dermis of the skin, and like other scars, it cannot be "erased". I am sure that there are lots of lasers, lotions, creams, and advice about how to remove stretch marks, but keep in mind that when there are lots of advertised treatments for a problem, that probably means that there is no one best solution. Good luck!

Careful with the word "removal"

+2

No laser of any kind can "remove" stretch marks, unfortunately. 

They can lighten them if they are dark however. 

The only way to "remove" stretch marks is with surgery such as those that are removed from the lower abdomen in a tummy tuck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Stretch mark treatment with laser

+1

I have used pulsed dye laser successfully for red stretch marks and selective fractional laser for white stretch marks.  Although difficult, both lasers can dramatically improve stretch marks in most cases. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Stretch marks and Laser

+1

Unfortunately stretch marks cannot be removed by any non-surgical method. The only way they can be removed is through surgery. Stretch marks are caused because the skin is stretched beyond its capacity to recoil. Its like a rubber band that is over stretched and can never regain its original shortened length. The dimpling on the other hand is cellulitis and that is cause by fibrous bands that tether the skin. Recenly the FDA approved Cellulaze for the treatment of cellulite. Visit with a plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Lasers cannot remove stretch marks

+1

There are no lasers that can remove stretch marks. Some lasers can lighten the redness of the stretchmarks, and some may narrow the stretched skin a bit.