Best Laser Treatment for Scars and Large Pores?

Which between Pearl, Laser Genesis, and Fraxel Laser most successfully reduces pore size, acne scars, and chicken pox scars? Any comment or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best laser treatment depends on the nature, age, depth, etc. of the scars

+11

No laser will be right for all scars. Beware that the doctor or laser center is recommending only the laser that they just happen to have in their office. Experienced laser surgeons should have a variety of lasers in their office, as well as be well versed in other techniques - subcision, dermabrasion, and surgical excision. All of these techniques and lasers have their own advantages and disadvantages, so be sure you are aware of these before suigning up for any particular procedure.

Fraxel Laser best laser treatment for skin resurfacing

+5

Fraxel Restore is one of the best lasers for skin resurfacing. Fraxel laser works great for acne scars, pigmentation, fine lines, and wrinkles. Depending on the condition treated, Fraxel can be done in a series, or a single treatment.

More aggressive treatments are necessary for acne scars, which mean more swelling and redness for up to 1 week. Side-effects are temporary and include itching, dry skin, and peeling.

Fraxel Restore is good for all skin types and guarantees immediate results.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Acne Scars, large pores, and chicken pox scars: Treatment with laser

+5

Laser may not be the solution in your case. Generally, large pores, chicken pox scars, and acne scars have a low width to height ratio, thus making it difficult to treat with lasers alone. Fraxel is not a cure for every scar. It really depends on the depth of the scar and the quality of the skin.

In any case, not everyone with a laser is a scar specialist. Insist on going to a skin specialist who is actively involved in the management of scars.

In your case, I would recommend a combination of subcision, chemical peels, and topical creams as a first line for treatment.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

+4

Hi mz,

I have had much success in treating pore size, acne scars, and chicken pox scar skin surface irregularities with Fraxel re:pair laser. Patients have had very impressive improvement in skin texture and scars after one treatment. My patients are all told that they may require more than one treatment (2-3) to reach their desired results depending upon the extent of the scarring.

Though I have no personal experience with Pearl, the deep Pearl laser has shown good results. The older Pearl is too superficial of a treatment to effectively treat scarring. I have no experience or opinion on Laser Genesis.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Laser treatment for pores and scars

+4

Unfortunately none of the treatments mentioned will completely correct the type of scars you describe. They may make some improvement but the scars will still be visible.

Also be prepared for some downtime after these treatments.

There really isn't a great solution for facial scars from acne or chicken pox. Laser, dermabrasion, injectable fillers and excision have all been tried with limited results.

Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Consider Candela Gentlelase for scars and large pores

+3

The Candela GentleYAG laser stimulates dermal collagen production and regenerates damaged skin cells. It produces new collagen in response to laser energy. Increased turnover of skin cells is also stimulated, helping to regenerate and replace damaged cells.

In my experience, this laser is the ideal laser for skin tightening, treatment of acne scars and minimizing pore size. The best part about this treatment is there is no downtime.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel, Pearl, Laser Genesis all work for pores and scars

+3

All of the devices listed work somewhat but the most aggressive of the group, the Pearl, will most likely give the best results on texture, although the Fraxel may be best for deep acne scars.

The best advice is to seek a laser practicioner with many devices so they can prescibe appropriate treatment for your skin.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Best Treatment for Large Pores and Acne Scars

+2

Between the Pearl, Laser Genesis, and the Fraxel Laser, I find that the Fraxel laser is the most effective for reducing pore size, treating acne scars, and treating chicken pox scars.  The Fraxel stimulates collagen production without ablating the skin, in order to improve the texture of both scarring and large pores on the skin.  

The Laser Genesis is excellent for decreasing pore size, but can only improve very shallow acne scars and chicken pox scars.  Similarly, the Pearl can improve the superficial texture of the skin, but (in my experience) does not address deeper scars as well as the Fraxel laser.

Eric Schweiger, MD

Fraxel Laser is the best treatment for acne scars

+2

The Fraxel laser  is the best treatment for acne scars as well as surgical scars.  Generally 3-5 sessiosn are required and scars can improve 50-70%.  The down time is 1-3 days.  You must have your acne under control however, I usually put my patients on a course of antibiotics for a few months. Over all fraxel re:store is very effective in treating acne scars, large pores and  other scars.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Proper cleansing routine will minimize pores + Intense Pulsed Light treatment

+2

While virtually every laser company likes to think that their specific laser reduces pore size, there is NO laser that actually does so. Pore size is best reduced by proper cleansing with a salicylic acid cleanser and a Clarisonic skin brush. This cleansing regimen will reduce pore size by removing its contents.

Instead of a laser, the Intense Pulsed Light from Lumenis has been demonstrated in multiple clinical studies to further reduce pore size. This effect is secondary to destroying or minimizing the size of a hair. Remember that a “pore” always contains a hair so the smaller the hair and the less “stuff” that is in the pore, the smaller it appears.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon