Best Implant for Asian Rhinoplasty?

Whenever I laugh, my nose spreads out a little wide. I like the size of my nose, but would like to increase the height of my nose bridge. If I get implants, will my nose get narrower? I don't want it to get smaller, I just want it to be taller. I heard that there are many options and I want something that looks natural and is permanent. I was informed that Silicone implants might shift overtime and I don't want that. What would be the best choice for me?

Implants for Asian noses

+2

You are correct, there are many options for nasal implants in Asian patients. They do include Silicone, Gortex, Medpor and other synthetic materials. Having practiced in Californiafor many years, where we have a significant Asian population, I have seen many problems with these implants. I personally recommend using the patient's own nasal septal or ear cartilage, feeling long term results are improved with fewer complications.

Nasal dorsal augmentation

+2

Dr. Placik has outlined all the options in great detail.  I imagine that worldwide, the most commonly used method is a silicone implant.  Fillers are becoming more popular but even in this month's plastic surgery journal there are photos of problems with this.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Best Implant for Asian Rhinoplasty?

+1
In my opinion, the best implant for rhinoplasty in general is the patient's own cartilage.  The Asian nose has traditionally been receptive to implants such as silicone, but I do not recommend them over your own cartilage.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

You need to find the best material for YOUR rhinoplasty, not others.

+1

There are MANY different materials a surgeon can use to augment the nose   dorsum and they ALL have pros and cons. Instead of trying to find out what is the best material for augmentation for every patient, I first try to find out what needs to be done then try to find the best material to achieve the desired outcome.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

Avoid implants for rhinoplasty

+1

The answer is simple.  The best implant is your own cartilage.  This is how the great masters of the past current time and future perform rhinoplasty.  The only reason that silicone implantation is popular in asian noses is that it is easy and quick and generally the thick skin of an asian nose tolerates the implant well.  I NEVER place artificial implants in my practice because of the inferior aesthetic result, movement, lifetime risk of potentially devastating complications including infection and extrusion.  I suggest that you visit a plastic and reconstructive surgeon well versed in advanced rhinoplasty the way rhinoplasty should be done- by tailoring a cartilage scaffold to make your nasal tissues drape naturaly and beautifully with no foreign body! 

All the best!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Best Implant for Asian Rhinoplasty is NOT an Implant

+1

I just saw this question and thought I'd chime in with an answer that is contrary to many of the answers here:

In my opinion, the best implant for the nose is to never to use an implant in the nose, but rather to use your own materials. Look elsewhere here on RealSelf as I have several answers as do others that discuss cartilage grafts and diced cartilage grafts for augmenting the nose.

Hope this helps,

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant for nasal bridge augmentation in Asian rhinoplasty

+1

The best implant for Asian rhinoplasty is a silicone nasal implant. We have lots of experience with the Flowers nasal dorsal implant, which is a small wafer cartilage placed only in the dorsum. We avoid using the L-shaped struts because they tend to warp, move, migrate and shift. A small- to medium-sized dorsal implant of silicone is what we would recommend.

Asian rhinoplasty is augmented safest with you own cartilage

+1

Foreign materials such as silicone, gortex, etc. make the operation faster for the surgeon. However, in 30 years of rhinoplasty I have removed many of these implants secondary to infection. I have never had this problem using your own cartilage. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who has done many Asian noses.

See surgeons to determine best implant for your Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

As you can see from the number of expert posters there are many, many choices. Over the internet can only add to your confusion to which implant I or the other experts like. GO see 3 opinions from boarded surgeons who do nasal implant and than determine after your in person evaluations which can be your best choice.

Dorsal Nasal Augmentation

+1

Dorsal nasal augmentation can be performed to raise the dorsum and give the allusion of narrowing the nose in the upper 2/3's. This can be accomplished with your own cartilage, irradiated cartilage, or like you mentioned a Silicone Implant.