What Type of Fraxel Laser Treatment Works Best on Hispanics?

I am hispanic with olive skin (little lighter than Jennifer Lopez) can I get fraxel treatments? I have some acne scaring from when I was younger and would like to get rid of it (it is not too bad but who wants acne scars)?! I also have a very small amount of brown spots from tanning. Am I a candidate for fraxal treatments and if I am, would it be Fraxel re:fine, re-store or re-pair?? Can it be done on olive complexions?? Thank you very much!

Fraxel for Hispanic skin

+1

If you want to treat acne scars, I would only compare the Fraxel re:store and the re:pair. Darker skin types (including Asian, Hispanic, Native American and African-American) have a tendency to heal with a darker color, for example after minor cuts or after acne. People with darker skin are at a higher risk for discoloration after any kind of laser procedure.

Fraxel re:store is called a non-ablative laser and is more gentle than Fraxel re:pair, which is an ablative laser. This means that the re:store will basically heat the skin and trigger special wound healing responses without actually creating a wound. Without a wound, there is much less risk of discoloration or scarring. The ablative laser does have a risk of discoloration or scarring.

That said, the energy settings on the re:store are variable and it is important to have a treatment that is not too strong for your skin type. You can get a lot of inflammation from a strong re:store treatment. Talk to your physician about the treatment, and get detailed instructions on how to prepare for it. You may need to pre-treat your skin with certain creams, and certainly you will need to use sunscreen, in order to decrease your risk of discoloration and increase your likelihood of a great result.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Restore best

+1

The non-ablative nature and the extended results we have now with this laser makes it my favorite for ethnic skin. Of course, the pre-treatment, post-treatment protocol and treatment settings must be individualized for your skin by your doctor, so make sure you go to an experience, board certified dermatologist. It will be critical to avoid all ultraviolet light during the course of treatment and be prespared for at least 5 sessions. Good luck!

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist