Best Facial Filler for Those Prone to Swelling?

What facial filler is best for patients who swell more than normal? I've had Restylane injections and I couldn't appear in public for over a week!

Try Juvederm

+3

Some patients swell a lot after Restylane, especially in the lip area. You might try Juvederm, I find this is a good alternative for patients who do not tolerate Restylane. Another alternative is to try Evolence, a collagen-based filler. It is not yet FDA approved for the lips, but you may want to try it when it is approved.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and swelling

+1

If you get swelling with restylane more so than others, you may want to try juvederm or perlane or even radiesse.

Less swelling with Evolence

+1

The hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm) seem to have more swelling in the first 24 to 48 hours. This may be due to the fact that the hyaluronic acid molecule absorbs water. Evolence is a relatively new collagen filler and swelling is less of an issue (as is bruising). As Dr. Kontis mentioned, Evolence is not for the lips as it can cause some lumpiness when use to treat that area. There should be a fine line version of Evolence available in the future that will work well on the lips.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon