Best Solution for Butt Acne?

Since I was a teenager, I've had lots of acne on my butt. I drink lots of water, eat healthy, bathe frequently, change my clothes and sheets, don't sit around too much, etc.

I have tried antibiotics (oral and topical), acne wash, loofahs, etc. I used to have this sort of acne on my chest, back, and face when I was a teenager (late 20s now), but no longer do. I am thinking of getting laser treatment or a chemical peel, etc. Help!

Folliculitis - Need to culture to diagnose

+2

This may be more of a folliculitis than acne. We see this sort of thing a lot in people that sit on their buttocks all day, especially if in an overheated environment. Truck drivers are prime victims.

This should be cultured since it might actually be a recurrent staph (aureus) infection. If so, besides an antibiotic which is sensitive to staph, I would recommend bleach baths ( 1/2 to 1 cupful of Chlorox into the bath during the last five minutes) and Mupiricin applied to the groin.

A combo drug consisting of Clincamycin and Benzoyl Peroxide Acanya, Benzaclin or Duac) would be valuable as a maintenance treatment.

Something like a laser would be foolish, expensive and possibly harmful. Chemical peels would be silly, needless and a waste of money unless you are making plans to live in a nudist colony.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Several options available

+2

I like Evoclin and Tazorac or Ziana and Triaz wash. Panoxyl is a good OTC product as well. Theraplex peels are fabulous for butt acne, and it helps the discoloration too! I do not like lasers in this area. See a dermatologist for more information.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Butt Acne

+2

"Acne" on the buttocks is most likely another condition referred to as Folliculitis. Folliculitis causes pimple like lesions centered over hair follicles often found on the buttock.

The condition is often made worse by prolonged sitting or perspiration. You can treat topically with over the counter products like The Pimple Clinic products and system or you can try prescription approaches with a dermatologist prescribing something stronger like oral antibiotics.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon