Best Acne Scar Treatment for Asian Skin?

I am 26 years old, fairly light-skinned Asian girl. I have suffered from severe acne in the past but just recently, with the help of medication, I have managed to control my acne. However, I am now left with deep acne scars on my cheeks. I have been to see a dermatologist and he has suggested one treatment of the Fraxel Laser. I am getting married in 4 months and want to look my best. Can anyone suggest what is the best treatment for acne scars on my skin type?

Asian skin and acne scars

+3

Many patients come to see me with these similar situations. Here in New York and New Jersey we have a large Asian population. In choosing a treatment regiment the type of procedure and recovery time is important. For short period recovery time, topical treatments such as beta peels and microdermabrasion can lessen the appearance of scars, but only subtly. However, it depends on the extent of the acne scarring. Fraxel restore is a more effective treatment methodology for Asian skin types and it may require 3-5 treatments for good results. Usually 3-4 weeks are needed between treatments. Pretreatment with hydroquinones is suggested as well as sun avoidance and use of sunscreens.

Web reference: http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com/adult/adult_acne5.html

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

What works best for acne scars?

+2

What is best for acne scars depends on how many scars, how deep they are and what type of scars they are.

If the scars are hypertrophic, like keloids, then injections of a cortisone would probably work best.

If the scars are atrophic, meaning they are depressed below the skin surface, then there are several things that can be done.

For isolated scars, there are dermal fillers, subscission, punch excision and spot fractional resurfacing.

For multiple scars, fractional resurfacing with an erbium laser would work well.  Best of all, this type of resurfacing works well in all skin types from very fair to very dark.  For patients that develop post-inflammatory pigmentation easily, I recommend pre-treating with a bleaching agent for two weeks before the procedure, then back to the bleaching agent as soon as the skin is healed after the procedure.

Several treatments may be necessary to reach full correction but you should see improvement even after one treatment.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars in Asian skin

+2

I would consider saline subcision treatments perhaps in combination with spot application of a strong chemical peeling agent to build up the collagen to fill your depressed acne scars. Application of the chemical peel solution should not be done within 3 months of your wedding date as it can take up to 3 months for the dark brown/reddish pigmentation associated with this technique, to resolve. Hopefully you can find a qualified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon who is familiar with these techniques. Fraxel Re:pair can be beneficial for some rolling scars, but is not great for ice-pick acne scarring.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Acne Scar Treatment for Asian Skin

+1
Laser is generally the most effective treatment for acne scars on Asian skin types. It is important that your provider is very comfortable with the lasers and the settings they use on each skin type. There may be a few more days of downtime, but often patients do very well. Both Co2 and Fraxel is safe to do on this skin type- I would also suggest the FAST or Focal Acne Scar Treatment. This innovative procdure includes a mix of CO2 and Fraxel laser and often has very good results for acne scars.   

Web reference: http://www.clearclinic.com/acne-scars/

Deep acne scars in Asian skin

+1

If the scars are deep, then subscision or dermaroller may be options. Fraxel would need more than one session to manage deep scars. Solitary deep scars can also be excised, to increase cosmesis and decrease downtime.

India Dermatologist

Asian skin requires special care because of the risk of hyperpigmentation.

+1

A single Combination treatment with subcision, Derma-K Laser Resurfacing, and Fraxel Repair Laser give me the best results.  Treatment of acne scars is complicated and requires a combined approach to get the best results.   Additional treatments with eMatrix and Perlane can further enhance the results.  We are consistently getting 75% + improvement in a single treatment  in most of our patients using this technique There are other options, but this works by far the best in my hands.  I have treated may Asian patient with this treatment who have achieved great results.  It is usually necessary for Asian patients to completely avoid the sun for several months following the treatment until the skin is completely back to normal color.  There is always some redness after the treatment that takes a few weeks up to several months to disappear.

Web reference: http://www.gatewaylasercenter.com/AcneScarBeforeAfter.html

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Dual Laser Treatment for Acne Scars in Asian Skin

+1

Asian skin is for the most in the Fitzpatrick type 4-5 range. Thus aggressive resurfacing would not be an option in most. Aggressive resurfacing refers to Dermabrassion (Not microdermabrasion) and C)2 resurfacing. For that reason Fraxel Dual (Not Fraxel repair) would be a safe choice in Asian skin. I would highly suggest talking to your doctor to plan out the best treatment.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-acne-scars

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

TCA Cross is good for acne scars

+1

This technique involves placement of very concentrated TCA on the scars. There is minimal downtime. It needs to be repeated several times. There were initial studies done on Koreans with no adverse skin reactions so I feel it's safe for you. After the wedding, the Fraxel re:pair is very good for acne scars. I have done several asian skin types without adverse reactions. You need to be on hydroquinones before and after the procedure.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.