Can I Liposuction Abdomen with Stretch Marks?

Liposuction on tummy with stretch marks

+3

Thank you for your question about having liposuction in skin with stretch marks.

• Liposuction removes fat under the skin.
  • Stretch marks are from tearing of the deep layers of the skin.
  • Skin with stretch marks may not shrink down after liposuction.
  • Ask your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon whether your skin is elastic enough for liposuction. Or if something different is needed.
  • HOpe this helps. Best wishes. 

Liposuction will not affect stretch marks

+2

Thank you for the question.  Stretch marks will not be affected by liposuction.  They will neither get worse nor improve and they will not affect how effective the liposuction will be.  The amount of skin laxity may get worse with significant liposuction amounts if the skin does not have that great of an ability to bounce back.  Often, with abdominal laxity, one must decide between a tummy tuck (with or without liposuction) or just liposuction alone.

Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Liposuction of the Abdomen and Stretch Marks

+2

Dear KalenaJio,

Body contouring procedures including liposuction and tummy tuck are excellent ways to reshape your figure.

If you have extra deposits of fat with little to no excess or loose skin, liposuction alone may be a good treatment. If, however, you have a significant amount of extra or loose skin, a lift or tuck procedure (eg. tummy tuck) may also be advisable.

Be careful of "cosmetic surgeons" who claim that they have a "laser" that will tighten your loose skin. Laser liposuction (which I perform) is not a substitute for a tummy tuck.

Stretch marks are a general sign of inelastic or loose skin, which means that a tuck may be advisable.

Please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

You can have liposuction with stretch marks.

+2

Hi.

The real question is: Do you have loose extra skin?  If you do, then stretch marks suggest bad skin elasticity and you may need a tummy tuck.  If skin is pretty tight, then liposuction is fine.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lipo with stretch marks

+1

Depending on your goals , liposuction could be performed on patients with stretch marks. if a reduction of excess fat is your main goal  liposuction may work well. On the other hand , if stretch marks are your biggest concern, they will not be removed with liposuction. A mini tummy tuck with liposuction may be a reasonable compromise for some patients. Of course all of this would depend on your evaluation at your consultation with an experienced Board Certified Surgeon.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Stretch marks and liposuction

+1

If i were to pick one question that I get asked over and over again,  it would be about stretch marks. Stretch marks are a form of scarring of the skin. It's caused by stretching or tearing of the dermis (the intermediate layer of your skin, not visible externally, that helps your skin retain its shape). 

It seems that every month or so I get a new advertisement for some type of cream or laser or therapy for the improvement of mature stretch marks.  Pulsed dye laser, fractional laser, and special creams have shown some mild to moderate effects, but nothing, other than surgery has effectively removed stretch marks.

The most common surgery we use to improve abdominal contour and remove lower abdominal stretch marks is an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  Liposuction alone will not improve the appearance of stretch marks and in some cases it may make the situation worse by increasing the amount of loose skin.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Liposuction and Stretch Marks

+1

Although liposuction is an excellent treatment to remove isolated pockets of fat, including the abdomen, it is not a treatment for stretch marks.  If the skin contains stretch marks it can be an indication that the skin has poor elastic qualities and liposuction alone may enhance the appearance of stretch marks.  You may be a better candidate for an abdominoplasty which can remove stretch marks below the belly button.  Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Stretch Marks and Abdominal Liposuction?

+1

Liposuction removes fat not skin. I think it really depends on your expectations. If you want less of a bulge and don't care about the skin, you may be happy. If you are also looking to remove the stretch marks you would be a better candidate for a tummy tuck. Either way, it's important that you do your research and see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that specializes in liposuction.

By the way - I am a huge advocate of Cool Sculpting. This is a noninvasive way to remove fat with no down time. This procedure does not remove skin, but it makes your bulge smaller. Without question, figuring out what your expectations are is the first step.

Jennifer Harrington MD

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Stretch Marks

+1

Liposuction can be a great operation and can effectively rid you of the areas that have unwanted fat. It can also be a horrible operation that can engulf you with excess skin and irregularities. Quality of skin is so important to determine which direction a patient can go towards. In general, having stretch marks indicates that you have laxity of skin and can end up having a poor outcome. I strongly recommend that you get evaluated by a qualified plastic surgeon that can determine this. My recommendation is to beware.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

+1

Of course you can.  But how it is going to help you is uncertain, because if you are hoping to somehow improve your stretch marks with liposuction I'm afraid that's not going to happen.  If the abdomen is one that is suitable for liposuction, then the presence of stretch marks does not make a difference.  But usually stretch marks are associated with redundancy, either post-pregnancy or post-weight loss, which automatically means a tummy tuck.  Hope this helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS