Bad Otoplasty? (photo)

I had my otoplasty done 2 weeks ago, and already I can see that one ear is overcorrected and the other is under corrected. I'm extremely upset, and I feel cheated. Is it ok to ask my surgeon for a revision? As a plastic surgeon, what would you think about someone who is extremely unhappy and asking for a revision?

Asymmetry after otoplasty

+2

While there does appear some asymmetry from one side to the other, you are still early in your recovery and there may be some residual swelling that is contributing to the asymmetry.  It may improve with time.

With regards to your second question, it is always your right as a patient express your satisfaction or dissatisfaction.  The vast majority of plastic surgeons would want to know how you feel.  That way he/she will better able to address your concerns.  

2 Weeks and Concerns about Otoplasty

+2

There will always be some asymmetry side to side.  The pictures are hard to evaluate due to the head tilt in the first picture and the different levels of zoom on the posterior views.  Ear symmetry is very hard to evaluate without an exam, and pictures are hard to take in the appropriate vantagepoint.  2 weeks is too early to revise, and there will be some relaxation in the next 2 to 3 months.  I would revisit it then.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Otoplasty

+2

It is very early after surgery to see the final results.

Wait about six weeks, by then the swelling is gone and you will be completely healed. If revision surgery is needed then it can be done about 3 months after surgery.