Skin Only Tummy Tuck?

I am 29 year old over the past two years I have lost 130 pounds through diet and exercise. I work out six days a week and feel as though I have a very strong core. I was over weight all my life and have a large amount of excess skin that hangs down over my lower abdomen. Has anyone else had this experience? I would like to me armed with more information before my Pre-op next week.

Skin Only Tummy Tuck?

+2

Congratulations on the weight loss, a reward for all the hard work. Most patients who have lost massive amounts of weight will benefit from muscle tightening during a tummy tuck, but some do have rock solid abs, and do not need it. Tightening the abdominal wall does add to the overall discomfort, so I don't offer it when it is unneeded. 

All the best. 

Skin only tummy tucks

+1

work well when the underlying muscle is intact and not stretched out.  If you relax your tummy and it doesn't bulge out, you probably don't need the muscles tightened.  If you tummy protrudes much more with relaxation, plication of the muscles would certainly help your end result and also prolong your recovery.  Your doctor should be able to advise you as to what is best according to his/her findings during your consultation.

How to know if a skin only tummy tuck will work

+1

The primary reason for doing a muscle repair with a tummy tuck is when the muscles have separated in the midline, which is common after pregnancy. When that occurs, it is not correctable with exercise. In your case, if it was only weight gain and no prior pregnancies, it is more likely that a skin only tummy tuck abdominoplasty would work, but you would need to be seen in  consultation in order to determine that.

Skin Only Tummy Tuck?

+1

Muscle plication does not have to be performed if there is no abdominal wall laxity.  I perform skin only tummy tucks frequently.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/tummy-tuck-photo-galleries.php